Posts: 26 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Dayton, TN
Originally Posted by cybergypsy View Post
I have turned off the LED notifications :-

Settings > Control Panel > Display > LEDs

....and sleep easy.
Yea, but I really like having the LED notifications during the day. And I'd rather not have to turn them on and off every night/morning.

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Maybe this thread can be of help.

The Following User Says Thank You to alephito For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Here is a rip of cybergypsy's brilliant instructions but to do something else.

Putting the following into crontab should in theory put the tablet into offline mode at 11:30 PM and take it out at 7:00 AM.

Well, the dbus commands work as I spent 30 mins figuring them out but I don't know if cron will use them (you also may need to do dbus-uuidgen --ensure=/var/lib/dbus/machine-id as root)

30 23 * * * /usr/bin/dbus-send --system --type=signal /com/nokia/mce/signal com.nokia.mce.signal.sig_device_mode_ind string:"flight"
00 7 * * * /usr/bin/dbus-send --system --type=signal /com/nokia/mce/signal com.nokia.mce.signal.sig_device_mode_ind string:"normal"

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-06-20 at 17:08.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Dayton, TN
Thanks for all of the great advice and I'm definitely going to see if I can the LED situation improved through cron.

But I was thinking what might possibly be an even better solution would be turn dim the LED based on the light sensor. So the darker it is the dimmer the LED gets. Because the LED tends to fade in and out at times I assume that it's able to be dimmed.

I'm a web developer so I don't have a lot of experience in programming at this level or in most of the languages typically used in Maemo. But if somebody can point me in the right direction I'd be happy to attempt to write something to do this sort of thing. Right now it's looking like I'll have to do my homework on DBUS and maybe Python. I'm comfortable with C# so maybe Vala would be better for me than Python?

That's quite interesting; it's a good idea, and possible from a hardware perspective, but I doubt it's readily doable right now. Support should exist for an overall brightness control in mce, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist now. Alternatively, all LED patterns could be scaled and resubmitted, but I'm not sure whether there's a clean way to apply such changes. That's an inferior solution, anyway; if filing feature requests, the former is what you really want.

Is there any way to set special hours for weekends?

For instance:

00 7 * * 1,2,3,4,5 aumix -w 90
00 10 * * 0,6 aumix -w 90

Is this valid if I want to sleep longer on Saturdays and Sundays?

Originally Posted by aNoble View Post
Yea, but I really like having the LED notifications during the day. And I'd rather not have to turn them on and off every night/morning.
I turned the "Device on" option off and left all the other options on.

This has stopped the device flashing the blue LED to indicate that the device is switched on when the display is in power save mode.

Now, with cron muting and switching to offline mode, there is no possible sound and LED use by night. Great.

Last edited by alephito; 2008-06-22 at 00:03.

After upgrading to Diablo I am trying to install cron again.

After running 'tar zxvvf cron.tar.gz', I execute './cron/INSTALL' (as root) but the output is '/bin/sh: ./cron/INSTALL: Permission denied'.

What am I doing wrong? I don't remember if I had this problem the first time.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I think you need to make sure you are root and make sure that the INSTALL script is set as executable.

I am sure I am root (I see the # in the command line) and I run tar with the 'zxvvf' parameters. How can I check if the script is set as executable?

Tags