Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Off with his head!

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Off with his head!
He's a qole. You'll need to cauterize the wound with acid or fire; otherwise, the head will just grow back.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You can tell when posters are suffering from sexual lack-of-news tension-- things get a bit snippy in here.
We cannot do anything about the lack-of-news-tension, can we?

However, given recent tablets have the possibilty for video chat... why not establish a new sub-forum here where ppl can contact each other regarding this other tension you mentioned?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by dont View Post
How about if Nokia packaged the together with a BT phone and did a deal with the cell-phone providers to subsidize them in return for a multi-year contract?
It would seem more natural for me to have it bundled with broadband access and/or wireless routers.

There's an ISP here that offers broadband, wireless router plus a laptop to use on your wlan - nice bundle. I know that this provider does have problems, though, because ppl expect the service hotline to help with whatever question they have with their laptops and attached peripherals.

it could be easier to have an embedded device such as the tablet. it really shows what wireless access can do in your home plus its easier to support with its limited features (compared to a laptop).

I remember there used to be wireless routers that came bundled with a tablet, don't know if these offers still exist.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Aside from my frustration with the n810 keyboard, my biggest complaint is the way the microbrowser stalls and hangs all the time . In these forums, and mist websites, I have to wait 30 to 45 seconds for a page to fully load. The lower right status report will sit there displaying "loading 152/153" (for example) while my load-applet icon has a maxed-out load bar.

This happens even with "fit to page" off, flash and plugins off, and no other apps running. It happens at home on 802.11b via cable modem, or at work on 802.11g via 100mbs link to the internet. I've even tried flashing to a clean install... nothing fixes it.

If this is just the way the tablet works, then it does not provide the intended function of being a portable web access device.

The slowness seems to be confined to the microbrowser; for example, I can vpn to the corporate network, use vnc to control my Windoze desktop, and the screen updates are very fast.

Steve

Any ideas?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by stevecrye View Post
. . . microbrowser . . . microbrowser . . .
There's so such thing as "microbrowser". It's called MicroB.*

*Actually, technically, it's just the engine that's called "MicroB", the whole browser is called "Mozilla-based browser for maemo", but everybody refers to the whole thing as "MicroB".

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-06-22 at 02:20. Reason: Close tags

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
hey steve look for some of the browser tweaks i think the thread is tuning the n810 alpha work......

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by stevecrye View Post
Aside from my frustration with the n810 keyboard, my biggest complaint is the way the microbrowser stalls and hangs all the time . In these forums, and mist websites, I have to wait 30 to 45 seconds for a page to fully load. The lower right status report will sit there displaying "loading 152/153" (for example) while my load-applet icon has a maxed-out load bar.

This happens even with "fit to page" off, flash and plugins off, and no other apps running. It happens at home on 802.11b via cable modem, or at work on 802.11g via 100mbs link to the internet. I've even tried flashing to a clean install... nothing fixes it.
quick guess, javascript. that or some large images that gets rescaled in browser. in either case its a pain in the behind to run into (and both are design sins if used without a good reason). i recall engadget being a real pain to browse with images on for the longest time, but now it seems to have been fixed. dont know what they changed as the layout is the same as always.

sadly, the javascript engine in the gecko beta that the current microb is using is slow. and it seems they didnt take the time to update it in diablo. but given how they are redesigning the internals of diablo, i suspect they can roll that out as a update package using app manager at a later date.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by tso View Post
sadly, the javascript engine in the gecko beta that the current microb is using is slow. and it seems they didnt take the time to update it in diablo.
Actually, what happened was that the code from upstream wasn't up to snuff in time for it to be integrated for MicroB (a non-trivial task), so they couldn't do it in time for Diablo. It's on-track to be up-to-speed with trunk for Diablo+1 (presumably Fremantle at this point), though, and we may see some SSU updates between now and then.

So your assumption that they "didn't take the time" is incorrect. It's not a matter of laziness or lack of vigilance, it's a matter of timing, and the timing just didn't happen to work out here.

You can grab the latest code from the gtkmozembed svn and install that. Navi was even kind enough to compile a revision a few revisions old for us.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=17666
thats the link in case anyone was looking...plus look for brontides css...and someone please tell me is it floppymoose...or somesuch...i know that will help....alot...dont know too much about the java...i mostly use the mobile versions of alot of websites...