Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
well face it the itt is a work in progress...all the command line is kinda necessary...not 100% of the time...well day about 70% of the time i find work arounds...or my cut and paste method...as for cli in windows...yeah i have to use it there to fix stuff...but again ive found workarounds...other tools and apps that work...thats what i like about TROUBLESHOOTING....you have to use your head for more than a hatrack....

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
What i also disagree with is the usefulness of asking people to learn some script language or how 'x' works or some other specific system.
We're miscommunicating I think. I think we may actually be in agreement. I'm not saying "learn a specific scripting language", I am saying they should be taught basic computer science, which includes the concepts of OOP. The alice.org programs are an example of teaching computer science without requiring people to become high level programmers. My OPINION, maybe wrong, is that CS should be integrated into elementary/high school curricula, just like math, chemistry and political science. It is becoming that much a part of society. Arguably, computer knowledge will be used at least, if not more, more frequently by average adults than chemistry, biology, trigonometry...

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I find it very interesting that, for all the supposed "ease of use" of Windows, they've put all the configuration stuff into inaccessible binary files like the "Windows Registry" and stuff.
although it isn't exactly binary, it is mostly text.

I must say, the fully commented plain text files of Linux are very nice in comparison. Trying to figure out where those text files are, on the other hand, can be difficult.
which is why they changed from plain text files to the registry in later versions of windows!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
although [the Windows registry] isn't exactly binary, it is mostly text.
Well, "mostly text" is a long way from "text". Kinda the difference between markup languages like RTF and HTML and the Word .doc format.

Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
which is why they changed from plain text files to the registry in later versions of windows!
I don't think so. They had a few central text files in earlier versions, like win.ini and system.ini, but I think they really didn't like the whole "editable in a text editor" thing. I can kinda understand. It's better just to have a file that doesn't make much sense in a text editor rather than having a text file that says, "AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED: DO NOT EDIT!" at the top. I'm sure you've seen a few of those. I've edited a few of those

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Originally Posted by matthewcb4 View Post
Ok your all right. Linux isent just for nerds. Everyone should know all about command lines and it should be tought in school. That is just one of the things that people are going to use on a daily basis, including spanish and geometry.
Nah, YOU'RE right - Linux IS just for nerds. Windows is for "jocks", and Mac is for the "cool clique". Thanks for clearing that up.

...thay are not going to spend the time to learn all about linux when there is windows that you can just pay $50 bucks a year and have someone else protect that information for you. ..
That sounds like an excellent strategy - pay someone else to protect you, in order to maintain a comfortable level of ignorance.

Or, lets go one step further and say a Mac... now very user friendly and you dont have to worry about viruses and any of that.
Have you priced a Mac lately? 2-3x the cost of a Windows machine. And it still has vulnerabilities.

How will linux be able to compete with any of that when thay stand idol with command lines?
Jeebus, man, what is it with you and your abnormal fear of command lines? It's just words, man, they don't bite. The world's not all buttons and pictures. And most of all - YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE THE COMMAND LINE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO.

Argue with me as much as you want but im just coming from the point of a regular computer user who would regulary look at someone using lenux and say that its just to much dedication for something that i can do with minimal background on another OS.
I think it's rather obvious where you're "coming from". "Too much dedication"... "just pay someone else to protect you"... whine whine whine whine.

Jeeze, what is this, your online version of the jocks picking on the nerds? Just go buy a freaking Windows machine already, and a Win Mobile portable to go with it. Life will be perfect for you then. Just point and click. Point and click. Plug and play. Point and click.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
"Hands up everyone who uses Linux who hasn't compiled software?"
*raises hand!*

Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
Basic computer knowledge should be a part of elementary curriculum
I'll agree with that.

Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
and that includes basic OO programming
Now you are going a little bit overboard.

Originally Posted by joepagiii View Post
well face it the itt is a work in progress...all the command line is kinda necessary
I owned my 770 for a couple of years before I installed Osso Xterm, and haven't used it for anything other than playing around since.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
No, people stick with Windows because everybody they know uses it, and Windows is free.
"So when someone looks at Linux, all they see is the unfamiliarity of it, and nothing there that's so good to make them switch from Windows. After all, they're not saving anything or gaining anything by switching."
I do think that Windows won't have half of the market share it has now if it wasn't for piracy.

Huh? I have had rotation of screens on a variety of computers since the mid 90s and never once needed any terminal access to do it, so I guess it is just a linux thing. I also do a lot of work with windows without ever needing batch files.
Okay, I'll rephrase for him: Rotation support is cutting edge for the NIT, and not supported officially too. (Also there's a deb which doesn't require xterm at all).
I also very often can work through a day without running a terminal on my linux box, then again I'm using ssh fairly often (if i wasn't - i won't fire it for a week).

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Well, "mostly text" is a long way from "text". Kinda the difference between markup languages like RTF and HTML and the Word .doc format.
ok, it is entirely text apart from the things that it needs to store as binary.

I don't think so. They had a few central text files in earlier versions, like win.ini and system.ini, but I think they really didn't like the whole "editable in a text editor" thing.
umm, no, there was no registry and every single config file was an ini file designed to be edited in notepad. It was the way it was done until 95
That is what notepad was originally for. The registry came in later.

Personally I would consider it a big flaw in linux, having a completely arbitary file format to control it. Ok, it is nice when you have the instructions in them, but you don't have to. It is the reason they got rid of it from the early versions of windows.
Some sort of structured format that would be better. The registry was a 'too much' answer. There is too much risk putting it all in one place/file.

Last edited by tabletrat; 2008-06-24 at 06:53.