i hope you make another guide of this and release it to the public. This is the best Debian installer, + it has apps. Too badd its really slow, but thats probably how it is on all of the debian builds used on nokia tablets. Now that i have installed Debian, i also installed the Azuerus program. How would i access/ add programs to the menue that i install using debian

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by maxzar100 View Post
Now that i have installed Debian, i also installed the Azuerus program.
Holy crap! You installed Azureus!? And it works?! Dude!

As for adding icons, you have to go into the command line, sorry.

The menu items for OS2008 are all in:

Code:
/usr/share/applications/hildon
and they are all named <application>.desktop

I would suggest you copy one of the existing menu items (ooo.desktop for OpenOffice is a good one) and find the line that says,

Code:
Exec=sudo debian hilda openoffice
and change openoffice to the name of your application. You also need to change the name, generic name, and the icon. The icon is the hardest one, since the Debian icons are hidden away in the chroot most of the time... I had to copy them out of the chroot manually, it was ugly.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
Now if only i could apt-get install monodevelop
Why doesn't it work? It looks like it should install. All the dependencies are there...

Ahh... "Depends: libxul0d but it is not installable"

EDIT: Looks like the missing library is in Testing / Lenny. Have you tried installing it with the testing repo added?

EDIT2: I added the Lenny repo in Synaptic and installed monodevelop. The install seems to have worked. But I have no idea what to do with it.

EDIT3: I got to a Debian prompt, typed "monodevelop" and (a few hours later ) up popped a very cramped-looking development environment. I think if this app decided to have a race with molasses in January, the brown goop might just win.

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-25 at 22:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
I like the idea of having a debian chroot on my tablet and worked on a better integration while still being able to use a "full" debian desktop without the maemo UI on the left and top. With a bit of script magic, it's possible to have a simple menu entry that will start a desktop session (WindowMaker in my case) and still be able to switch to the maemo desktop while the debian session is running.

The Debian session also puts a tray icon on the maemo desktop with which one can see that debian is running and also switch to the debian session - see the video for a visual explanation

Here's a demonstration: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...84440661&hl=en

What do you think?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thp View Post
With a bit of script magic, it's possible to have a simple menu entry that will start a desktop session (WindowMaker in my case) and still be able to switch to the maemo desktop while the debian session is running.

The Debian session also puts a tray icon on the maemo desktop with which one can see that debian is running and also switch to the debian session - see the video for a visual explanation
I must say that WindowMaker is a very responsive WM for the tablet.

I kept waiting for the explanation, but it was just a demo. Pretty cool looking, but no explanations anywhere. What script magic do you use? Do you use a nested X-Server? Do you think we could incorporate your desktop into the "Debian Appliance"?

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-25 at 20:58.

i dont know if the azuerus worked, all i know is that it installed.

can i just run azeurus

ok, to run a program in the chroot xterm, i used hilda (program) without the brackets. I tried it out on iceweasel, using hilda iceweasel and it worked, so now i will try it out on azeurus, once i figure out how to correctly spell it rofl.

That's right, 'hilda <app>'... I would seriously try a much lighter-weight bittorrent app...

well, i did increase my ram, by 86 mb, so im gonna give it a shot, i will keep you posted. Also, is there anyway to give iceweasel flash 9 or 10.

That post a few ahead of us about the windowed debian, the one by thp, looks really good. It is much more responsive then the one that you made. Maybe he will give you the script, so you can include it in your installer. Actually, remember seeing a post about that on a forum somewere... i will look for that script.

Tags
chroot, debian, easy debian