Active Topics

Hi all,

I've only had my 770 for a few months now, but I love it. I don't use it for much other than surfing the web, checking email, and probably most importantly reading ebooks using fbreader. It works great for these purposes.

However, it's not PERFECT. The unit is a bit slow to boot up, it crashes quite often for no apparent reason, and the battery life is good, but could be improved.

Would upgrading to an 800 or 810 be a marked improvement for me? Or are the features which they offer simply overkill and more than what I use my 770 for?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Oy.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tennessee, US
Well I also own a 770 and one of the best features of it, the hard case, is not aviable for either the n800 or n810, but you can get past that.
Here is a list of what I think is important about them both.

n800:
brighter screen
faster
2 full size SD cards 32Gb+ storage

n810:
even brighter screen than n800
special screen that can be seen better in the sun
equally fast as n800
1 micro SD slot 16Gb+
2 Gb internal stroage included
GPS chip and maps (routing software extra)
slide out keyboard

I love the 770 hard case, I would buy one for my n800 if they made one.
If you don't need all the extras of the n810 you can get a used/refurb n800 for cheep.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
As someone who bought a 770, a 800 and 810. I would say 810. I loved my 770 and my 800, but I use that keyboard everyday. When I use my 800 now, it drives me crazy, I keep wanting to slide out the keyboard.

I have a bt keyboard too, but I love my 810. I can't wait to see whats next
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Thanks for the info, comrades. Maybe I'll look into the 810s now. I've been researching other possible eBook readers, and so far none have been able to compete with my 770. The 810 might just close the competition down.

Originally Posted by ericdkirk View Post
Well I also own a 770 and one of the best features of it, the hard case, is not aviable for either the n800 or n810, but you can get past that.
Here is a list of what I think is important about them both.

n800:
brighter screen
faster
2 full size SD cards 32Gb+ storage

n810:
even brighter screen than n800
special screen that can be seen better in the sun
equally fast as n800
1 micro SD slot 16Gb+
2 Gb internal stroage included
GPS chip and maps (routing software extra)
slide out keyboard

I love the 770 hard case, I would buy one for my n800 if they made one.
If you don't need all the extras of the n810 you can get a used/refurb n800 for cheep.

Hope this helps.

The "1 micro SD slot 16Gb+" is not yet quite true. The biggest micro sdhc card I have seen is 8gb. If you buy that you will have 10gb: 8 gb from the card and 2 gb from the internal flash. Hopefully we will see 16gb soon though!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by MstPrgmr View Post
The "1 micro SD slot 16Gb+" is not yet quite true. The biggest micro sdhc card I have seen is 8gb. If you buy that you will have 10gb: 8 gb from the card and 2 gb from the internal flash. Hopefully we will see 16gb soon though!
Well, actually, "1 micro SD slot 16Gb+" is quite true—2GB MicroSD cards are all over the place!

/obfuscation

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
If money was no issue I would probably own an N810. But it is an issue for alot of us.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Or wait out for the next hardware bump which should be pretty significant.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
Loved my 770.... Got an 810 and use it WAAAYYYY more than I ever used the 770.. The built in keyboard is worth it. I bought the 810 at full price when it was first released and still believe it is worth every penny!!!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Oyjord View Post
Hi all,

I've only had my 770 for a few months now, but I love it. I don't use it for much other than surfing the web, checking email, and probably most importantly reading ebooks using fbreader. It works great for these purposes.

However, it's not PERFECT. The unit is a bit slow to boot up, it crashes quite often for no apparent reason, and the battery life is good, but could be improved.

Would upgrading to an 800 or 810 be a marked improvement for me? Or are the features which they offer simply overkill and more than what I use my 770 for?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Oy.

The N800 will give you more bang for the buck no matter how you look at it.

I'm assuming that you intend to keep it as long as you have kept the 770. Also assuming you bought the 770 new and and will buy the N800 used.

A used N810 is still commanding top dollar relative to the cost of a used N800. Sure the N800 has less functions than the N810 but it has more capacity.

Unless you use the stylus more than your finger for input, or you can only use GPS to determine your location. You would pro'ly be better off with a stand alone, BT keyboard and GPS receiver anyway.

IMHO, both the N tablets are very capable of handling anything you've trained or require the 770 to do, and then some. The N810 can do some of those things easier but, the N800 can potentially do more of those things over time.

... and during that time the N800 has less moving parts.

Last edited by YoDude; 2008-06-27 at 04:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post: