Notices

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Oulu, Finland
A very easy and quick way to refresh the calendar. Works fine.
Thanks goes for Personal Menu.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sevanteri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Erminig Update I

Version 0.3.1 of Erminig has been released. No major changes, except that now it is available from the extras repository! Lots of thanks to yerga, who helped me quite a lot to move it there!

It has been promoted to extras for both Chinook and Diablo.

So starting from now, you should get Erminig updates automatically via the Application manager (if you have the extras repositories listed there. They should be on an out-of-the box tablet).

Should the first update fail, a work-around is to first uninstall from App-Manager both Erminig and pysqlite, and then reinstall (always from App-manager) Erminig. It will pull in all the required dependencies.

What is expected for the future? Here is a short list of things that I plan to change in Erminig in upcoming versions:

- full command-line support: there are cases where even in command line mode, it will pop-up a dialog box.
- Bug fixes for a few sync-related bugs (listed in the bug tracker of Erminig)
- Even more code cleanup
- A sane logging facility for all those messages in the console
- Fix a few GTK warnings that pop up when entering the profiles editor
- probably a lot of other stuff I don't remember right now.

Ah, by the way, since the summer is here (finally!), there will be a period where I will not be able to answer any question, since I will probably be away for vacations....so don't worry if for a few weeks I'm not answering any request I'll pick them up as soon as I get back!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lorelei For This Useful Post:
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to post an update of the current situation of Erminig, since it has been a few weeks without any news about it.

First of all, rest assured that I'm still working on Erminig, and I'm preparing the next version. I'm still in the process of performing a complete code audit, which so far has proven quite useful.

During this code audit, I also took the occasion to fix a few bugs and rewrite a few routines. The net result is:

- complete rewrite of the configuration management. This should fix the bug where the configuration information was lost under some circumstances
- More useful error messages when something goes wrong (not just a simple stack trace in the terminal and a frozen Erminig)
- connection to google calendar is delayed until the very last moment: this means that startup of Erminig should be faster
- related to faster startup, I've tried to streamline as much as possible the initialization code
- general code cleanup

For the next release (I still don't have any date in mind...it will be there when it's ready ) I also plan to fix a few bugs with the events synchronization. I don't know yet if I will be able to fix some other bugs reported in the bug tracker...but I won't forget about them!

And please, if you have found some bug, don't hesitate to either report them in the bug tracker in the Garage, or directly here...

The Following User Says Thank You to lorelei For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
hi lorelei
don't know if this has been reported before:

This weekend I did the "clone to SD" procedure. It failed, so I had to reflash + clone to SD + reinstall from backup.

In this procedure I lost my erminig settings - so seems that there don't get backed up in the default backup process.

besides that - a killer program, are you still looking into sync. of contacts ?

The Following User Says Thank You to nikolajhendel For This Useful Post:
nikolajhendel: interesting, thanks for the report. After a first glance to my last backup it appears that erminig config is not backuped with the rest of the system. I'll have to check this more in details, and I'll report back.

Concerning contact sync, I was pondering this exact issue last weekend. I may start something in that direction if there's enough interest in the community...Maybe I'll setup a poll, to see how it goes...

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
Concerning contact sync, I was pondering this exact issue last weekend. I may start something in that direction if there's enough interest in the community...Maybe I'll setup a poll, to see how it goes...
Contacts would be a HUGE addon for erming! I think its the direction to go with. So please do consider it!

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

Contact Sync would rock..
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post

In this procedure I lost my erminig settings - so seems that there don't get backed up in the default backup process.
OK, after further checking, erminig configuration is not backed-up by the system backup software with the default Erminig configuration.

In the meanwhile I found the solution for this problem, and it involves modifying a little bit erminig's installation package.

The fix will be integrated in the next release of Erminig.

Thank you very much for your report!

I agree, the ability to sync contacts is pretty much the holy grail of free PIMs. Goosync only recently got that capability, and it's not free.

OK, so it looks like this feature is rather requested. I made a few tests with the Google API to access the contacts information, and it seems feasible to implement this functionality into Erminig. I still have a few checks to perform in regard of the GPE-contact database.

As soon as I've ironed out the last known bugs in the Calendar sync, I will tackle the contact sync. I'm still in the lengthy process of getting accustomed to Erminig and modifying and refactoring a lot of code, but I'm starting to see the end of the tunnel (finally!), so I will be able to look into more details for the last calendar sync bugs.

You can expect a test version of Erminig (only calendar sync) in a few weeks...