Notices

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
Much love for canola2... I find myself wishing for a PDF reader to parallel the images, audio, video (I read lots of PDFs on my N800, and ... well it is nowhere near as nice to deal with directories of PDFs as it is to deal with media via C2).

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by geek View Post
First, great work with Canola, it stoped me from replacing my Nokia with an iTouch.

I run Canola 2 beta 9 on my Nokia n770 with OS2007HE, and it works fine and fast most of the time. My only problem with it is that sometimes, when it should start a new song (first song or after it just played some), it just showes me the info for the next song and the small circle at the bottom is circling, but the song dosn't play. I can go to the next song, or go around in the menu without problems, just the next song refuses to play.

Otherwise, its just awesome.
geek: Can you describe the exact steps how did you install Canola on 770 (OS2007HE)? I just dug my old 770 from my drawer and started playing with it... I have managed to install even Skype on it without problems, but Canola seem a no go. I followed the step by step instructions in openbossa.indt.org web site but no joy. It seem that it installs incorrect version, since running from xterm it gives error message "Illegal instruction".

I tried even downloading the .deb and install from file but then application manager shows many missing packages. (Mostly python related...) I tried even installing Mediabox first (which installs python runtime), which worked fine and Mediabox works, though little slow on 770.

I have been loving the podcast plugin with Canola recently. It has replaced gPodder. However, lately I have been having some unexplained interface issues with Canola. In the last few days, my bottom 'back' button and the 'menu' button are missing. I have restarted my N800 and Canola several times but I cannot get it to reappear. I would like to avoid re-installing due to my podcast usage.

I have also noticed that the 'update media library' message seems to appear on loading all the time now, when I never seemed to notice it before. With my 2 16Gb cards, this can take a ton of time. Load times of 2 - 3 minutes is usual now when a few days ago they were under 1 min. I have installed nothing in the last few days that could have screwed things up.

Any ideas?

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hi Ex:

can you take a look at your disk? this seems that it has some kind of problem as canola is trying to " refresh" it everytime like you said. It's more likely to be a bug in Canola, but can also be a " corrupted " file in the disk causing problems...

for sure this is quite annoying, and I'm studying the final way of doing the wizard for new users and this policies for scanning and refreshing for experienced users.

can you tell us a little bit about your setup so we can try to reproduce it here?
device : software, main software installed..etc?

Thanks!

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Marcelo: This technique to refresh the library doesn't work. Canola remembers the old info.

I found another issue. If you have multiple albums called "Greatest Hits" and you combine individually, they both show up grouped. If you uncheck one, the Combine button goes grey and you cannot select.

Originally Posted by handful View Post
Spice: this refresh thing still an issue : / sorry for that, the thing is we need to always force refresh, but for those with 8gb cards this maybe painfully slow, so we need to come up with a better notification way to do that (we are improving the framework for that)

So, after deleting, did you do a "refresh library"? I know it will sound painful, but for now you can also go to media library, uncheck everything, refresh... and then check back your disk and refresh.. this will make sure things are clean : /

Marcelo

I am running 2007 HE, and when using any feature (Online radio, youtube, etc.) I can navigate to the file, but the media does not play. This affects audio and video. All help is appreciated.

Dylan

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by handful View Post
@OVK : indeed, we do have some 770 running "OK" the canola2, but the playback was always a problem. Using dbus on that OS it creates a lot of problem, any different character will simply make the file unplayable, it takes ages to start embedded mode on mplayer, even more to maemo media engine to answer the dbus request (it seems that it gets really confused in the middle) taking sometimes (true: 6 minutes to start a video) it looks like it freezed the device, but actually it didn't it's waiting for the media engine to answer the dbus request. As it never happened in the canola 2 on the other devices, we didn't expected this to happen but on OS2006 is common. For pictures the problem is (ok combined with the heavy screen) is that the disk reading speed is much lower on 770.
Marcelo
Hi Marcelo,

After all, I finally got the Canola to run on my 770 reasonably well. I did two things: first, I flashed fanoush's kernel that allows 770 to read data from mmc faster. After that I also installed the Youtube-plugin for Canola.

As I have understood correctly the Youtube plugin changes the 770's default player to mPlayer to be used with Canola (?). I think this might have something to do with the improved performance of Canola on 770. Also faster reading of mmc probably has some effect.

I still have some problems (occasional freezing, videos tend not to start etc.) but at least mp3's usually start playing without problems (not every time but most of the times).

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Tehran-Iran
hi dear friend marcelo

finally my old problem is solved: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1896

and i updated my canola2 beta 1 to beta 9 now

with tuner plugins,themes..........

but friend,photo problem is still available!

after reboot my n800 and also refresh the dirs and folders

it can't show some of my photos why?

please help me

But Thinking About A 64 GB !!!!

Os 2008 Chinook,I Have't Trust To Diablo!??

Originally Posted by OVK View Post
Hi Marcelo,

I still have some problems (occasional freezing, videos tend not to start etc.) but at least mp3's usually start playing without problems (not every time but most of the times).
For those who run Canola 2 on the OS2007HE and have problem for video playback, I suggest you downgrade your Mplayer version to 18

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...n770_armel.deb

It runs much better on my 770. The only catch is it will not show the little screen on Canola, but who needs it, too small to see anyway. And all the function keys of Mplayer still work, fast forward, rewind, volume control, except pause. And if you want to see the next video, just hit the return key.

It runs so well on OS2007HE and I tried to install it on OS2006 on MMC, but no success, It will not start even though it installed successfully. I know they have already said they don't support OS2006 anymore, but hopefully someone knows why.

On my new N800 that I got yesterday, the new Canola version would not work on OS2008 Diablo, no text shows.

Last edited by racky; 2008-07-06 at 21:56.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
I have two n800's which I've installed diablo on. After a recent 'apt-get upgrade' of packages both installs of Canola (beta 9 of course) have invisible text. Icons, pictures and menus, they all seem to work except for the invisible/missing text (There is no place where text will appear properly). I've tried removing and reinstalling as well as removing the .canola directory but now I'm stuck. Any ideas?

Thanks-
Larry