Well I've had my 770 for about a week now and I just got the WSOD today. I've tried numerous things like removing battery, reflashing and none of it restores it of course.

So is the bottom line here that we contact Nokia about this? I got mine from Zendoo.com through eBay. The unit appeared new and came with box and all accessories, manual was even shrinkwrapped. The MAC checks out on Nokia's website to allow downloads. So I don't think I got taken other than I got one of the faulty batch 770s (or maybe they're ALL faulty.)

The 770 came with the OS2006 update 1 and I flashed it to the latest OS2006 with update 2 through Nokia auto software. Then after a few days of messing around with it I got curious and installed OS2008HE and after a day of messing got that running decent. However there were enough hiccups with 2008HE that I decided to flash it back to OS2006. Well as I held down the home key and pushed the power button I got the WSOD and have had for about the past 6 hours now.

The etailer I bought from does a 20% restock regardless. I can get a warranty trough Square Trade but I've got to wait 61 days for it to take effect. (Said so on the site). That'll cost $15 for the warrantly and at least 2 months of waiting to get $130 bucks back.

At this point if Nokia won't replace it I'm fairly certain I can open it up and at least reset the bootstrap issue for at least another time of use before the next WSOD (sigh). But I'd rather not go that route.

I really don't like wasting money....I was really looking forward to this device helping me with my work admin duties and on the side Linux development.

I got my replacement today, it is a N800 (I live in the US). It took a total of about 1 & 1/2 month for Nokia to send me a replacement and I have already gotten a used 770 from ebay after 2 weeks of withdrawal symptoms. I haven't tested too much of the power of my N800 yet. But I am glad I have one now before they are sold out everywhere. Now I have a 770 and a N800, I should be able to test all the new programs for NIT out there , except those only for N810.
So if you have a WSOD on 770, better send it back to Nokia to get a replacement if it is still under warranty.

Last edited by racky; 2008-07-02 at 20:47.

And So It Goes.....

I have WSOD on my 770. I will be at Staples tomorrow anyway and will be sending in mine to Alabammy. Since some others have received N800 from Warranty repair, this may not be a bad thing....

Do the 770 Batteries fit the N800?!?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by BoredOOMM View Post
Yes, they are same, N810 is different.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Well add me to the list. I have to send my 770 in again (second time) for repair. After receiving it I am giving them 2 weeks and I am calling in and I want my device fixed. I am not going to wait a month like I did last time.

Can someone post a link to the nokia customer service. I got the WSOD today and i am quite angry. I had few flights next week with a couple hours layover. I was looking forward to using it. I go it last august and it has worked fine until now.

Originally Posted by shortkid1101 View Post
Can someone post a link to the nokia customer service. I got the WSOD today and i am quite angry. I had few flights next week with a couple hours layover. I was looking forward to using it. I go it last august and it has worked fine until now.

http://www.nokiausa.com/A4410046

Mine is said to be on the way back 7/25...

Originally Posted by BoredOOMM View Post
They fit in the E61 smartphone too (not the E61i though).

Well to give an updateI just called in after the 10th business day and talked about how long it is taking for the repair. Guy put me on hold and came back who transfered me to a executive who asked if they could swap me to the 800. Woo hoo

You might still miss some good features of 770, especially the hard case and better battery life. I still use my 770 more than my n800.