Closed Thread
I really love this... I live in Central Europe, so I had no use for map of Alaska and this is great way howto use internal memory card. I don't need ooo or firefox, but I really enjoyd e.g. claws mail with pgp support.

It's amazing. I can just download add sources I found on packages.debian.org and install it. That's exactly what I miss on Maemo.

I would like to know, wether it's possible to merge maemo gui and tools with complete debian.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I've seen that endless loop behaviour before when the tablet didn't have an Internet connection... are you online?
No, I wasn't at the time.
You could download the file manually using this link and drop it onto your mmc2, then tell the installer that you want to install there... It will go right into the extraction phase...
Yep, it's working. Hopefully the battery will last this time

Thanks, qole, for your help...if a dumb mistake can be made, I'll be the one to do it Thanks also for expanding the range and possibilities of the IT...I'm looking forward to testing this out!

This has got to be the coolest thing I've seen yet for the tablet! It's installed and running perfectly (except for cups) on my N800.

Should cups printing work without additional setup? I can see and select my network printers when trying to print from AbiWord and Iceweasel, but nothing prints. I can print ok from Penguinbait's KDE.

The Following User Says Thank You to possessedskier For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by possessedskier View Post
Should cups printing work without additional setup? I can see and select my network printers when trying to print from AbiWord and Iceweasel, but nothing prints. I can print ok from Penguinbait's KDE.
Thanks for testing cups printing (and samba networking?). I never got printing working with KDE either, so I can't test this myself...

I might have broken something in cups when I removed "foomatic-db" to free up some space.

Try reinstalling foomatic-db (apt-get install foomatic-db) and see if that fixes things...

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-09 at 19:05.

I'm trying to print to a printer attached to a network print server, which is also reachable as a printer shared by an Ubuntu Linux PC, so it's not using samba (at least I don't think it is). I can cups print to a pdf file.

I'll reinstall foomatic-db and try printing when I get home from work.

Ok... I installed foomatic-db (takes up a lot of space - I hope this isn't the problem and I can take it back out) and tried printing to the printer both via the printer server and the Ubuntu PC. No luck. Trying KDE to see if it still prints...

Yes. Still prints from KDE through the Ubuntu PC... after I manually woke the Ubuntu PC up from standby. Back to Dabian to try again now that the Ubuntu PC is awake...

Still no luck from Dabian. Could old print jobs be hung up in the print queue? Isn't there a way to check the cups print queue using http?

Last edited by possessedskier; 2008-07-09 at 20:52.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Qole, you should get yourself to the Maemo Summit (with sponsorship, probably) and do a talk/demo of Debian chroot on top of Maemo.
Hooray! They accepted my sponsorship request!

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Hooray! They accepted my sponsorship request!
Congrats! Get the old Passport dusted off.

Originally Posted by possessedskier View Post
Still no luck from Debian. Could old print jobs be hung up in the print queue? Isn't there a way to check the cups print queue using http?
I wish I could help you... I just don't know about cups... Where is the cups print queue located on the file system? Maybe I need to bind that directory into the chroot so it is shared? I think there's a cups daemon (EDIT: there is, called "cupsd"), and if you start it in KDE, you probably need to explicitly start / restart it in the chroot so it is using the Debian daemon not the KDE one (which probably knows nothing of Debian's print jobs ... unless we bind the directory)...

Perhaps you should copy your cups config file from KDE over to Debian. That might do the magic...

EDIT: I just looked at this page, it says you can see your cups stuff at localhost:631. I opened a Debian chroot terminal, ran "cupsd", and then used MicroB to surf to http://localhost:631...

Does anyone know anything more about cups here?

This is probably a discussion for the "Running Debian in a chroot" thread, since I can see it getting quite technical...

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-09 at 23:38.

Amaaazing! Thanks guys!

Two questions:
I've hit an (apparently minor) problem with locales: I tried to set up en_AU locale, which failed, and seems to have now left my locale setup in a bad state (see below). The system still seems to work, but I'd like to fix this and switch it to en_AU if possible. Any thoughts on what I've done wrong/how to fix?

!!!! My mistake: it's still necessary to set the shell environment variables to a legal language (since I had removed en_GB, the initial default to en_GB in qole's setup didn't work). Resetting the shell environment variables to sensible values now works fine.

OpenOffice 2.4 is working, and appears to allow creating text documents, presentations and drawing, but not spreadsheets (that is, they aren't listed in the File/New menu). This could be a confusion on my part - I'm more familiar with OpenOffice 3.0 beta on a mac. Are spreadsheets really missing from 2.4? Do you just create them in a different way in 2.4? Or have I screwed up my installation somehow?

!!! qole explains below how to install the spreadsheet (I guess this should have been obvious to me, I just didn't realise that it deliberately wasn't installed)

Best Wishes
Bob

Results on running dpkg-configure locales:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LC_MESSAGES = "en_GB",
LANG = "en_GB"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

Last edited by urilabob; 2008-07-12 at 09:59. Reason: Provide answers for problems raised

I ran localhost:631 in microb and was able to view the KDE print jobs and print a test page. I killed cupsd and started cupsd in chroot then ran localhost:631 in iceweasel. No printers or print jobs were listed. I tried installing the printer and it eventually asks for a user or root password. Neither root/rootme or user/rootme worked. What should I use for a username/password?

If this doesn't work I'll take it to the "Running Debian in a chroot" thread as you suggested.

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, easy debian, obsolete