Active Topics

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I'm not taking it personal. I'm just tired of all this iPhone hype.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bristol, UK
I don't have an iPhone! Never have. I do have a mac.com (now me.com) account which I have had working on the tablet since I bought it and on the desktop for 7 or so years now.

The webpage has been upgraded. The browser can't show it anymore. It works on the dekstop but not the tablet. Logic suggests if FF on the desktop works okay and the tablet is based on the same code and it doesn't then the tablet browser is at fault. As we're stuck with it I would hope that more frequent patches and updates should be available but they aren't.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Do you have FF2 on the desktop? Does it work in it?

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tennessee, US
from their page it looks like they have it running on FF2, I suggest you play with your browser agent, make it look like something else. They are probably just not detecting it right.

What do you mean when you say that "the tablet says no way"?

Do you mean that MicroB receives the necessary information but tries and fails to render the page, or that another page appears saying that your browser is not accepted? The latter is uncontrollable and a matter of idiot web developers sniffing user agents to lock the site to particular platforms. Basically it is not your tablet saying "no way", but me.com denying you access on an assumption.
You could try overriding the user agent with an iPhone one. (There is a thread on that somewhere here).

As for the standards, last I checked this browser passes Acid2. Given that nothing so far passes Acid3, it is safe to say that it is sufficiently standards-compliant. It's built on a fairly recent engine from Mozilla, as well.

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2008-07-10 at 15:07.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by siralien View Post
Logic suggests if FF on the desktop works okay and the tablet is based on the same code and it doesn't then the tablet browser is at fault.
As I tried to explain: no. This is not the only possible cause.

a) The version of FF on your desktop and on the tablet are not the same, and the UA-string the browser sends isn't.
b) The operating system isn't the same, even if you would be using a desktop based on a Linux kernel.

So if Apple returned to its habit of delivering different versions of their site for different browser/OS combinations (and maybe even blocking unknown browsers), the HTML your desktop browser receives might be completely different from what the tablet's browser gets.

This is not an assumption, actually I have no reason but my past experience with Apple to come up with this. It's just to point out that it's not necessarily the browser's fault if a certain site doesn't work when it works on another PC.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Picklesworth View Post
What do you mean when you say that "the tablet says no way"?

Do you mean that MicroB tries and fails to render the page, or that another page appears saying that your browser is not accepted? The latter is uncontrollable and a matter of idiot web developers sniffing user agents to lock the site to particular platforms. Basically it is not your tablet saying "no way", but me.com denying you access on an assumption.
You could try overriding the user agent with an iPhone one. (There is a thread on that somewhere here).

As for the standards, last I checked this browser passes Acid2. Given that nothing so far passes Acid3, it is safe to say that it is sufficiently standards-compliant.
ACID 3 tests were passed by Safari and Opera a while back.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
As I tried to explain: no. This is not the only possible cause.

a) The version of FF on your desktop and on the tablet are not the same, and the UA-string the browser sends isn't.
b) The operating system isn't the same, even if you would be using a desktop based on a Linux kernel.

So if Apple returned to its habit of delivering different versions of their site for different browser/OS combinations (and maybe even blocking unknown browsers), the HTML your desktop browser receives might be completely different from what the tablet's browser gets.

This is not an assumption, actually I have no reason but my past experience with Apple to come up with this. It's just to point out that it's not necessarily the browser's fault if a certain site doesn't work when it works on another PC.
Delivering different versions of websites for different browsers is old school 20th century thinking to help IE render. Websites must be written to standards something Apple say they do. It's the browser which must adhere to the same standards to display correctly. One reason IE8 has been forced to adopt web standards above its own is the increased presure to do so. Opera and Safari both meet ACID3 tests a few months back. FF failed but is very close. IE was still a way behind.

How does one get in touch with the browser development team to encourage its development to standards and make the new webmail site work?

Edit: Oops, misread you.
Interesting! Still, my point is that you can try fixing this here:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=14259

However, it may pass some odd scripts specific to the iPhone, so a plain Safari user agent may work better.

Delivering different versions of websites for different browsers is old school 20th century thinking to help IE render.
Sadly, that is no longer the case. Google, Ebay, and numerous others are now guilty of relying specifically on the user agent to provide iPhone-specific web sites that are inaccessible to those without said user agent.

And we still don't have an answer: How exactly is it failing? Are you able to take a screenshot?

I've noticed that MicroB can be weird with redirects, so you could try skipping those by copying the complete URL that your desktop web browser gets to.

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2008-07-10 at 15:19.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tennessee, US
No pages are coded to require acid3 passing. acid 2 components are not used that much yet anyway.
No production browser are passing it yet only dev-betas. Can you share the URL you are going to, I have tryed but every time I enter anything you talking about I get taken to the apple 'me' promo page.
Is the browser crashing or giving you and error?
If so what error...

The Following User Says Thank You to ericdkirk For This Useful Post: