Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Lastly, from Ti's and ImgTech's points of view, it would do their companies no harm to provide drivers to showcase their hardware. Just how much "profit" they gain from this vs. the "loss" associated with doing the deed is something I don't know.
I'm sure that asking TI and ImgTech would be more promising. Nokia obviously never planned the N8x0 to be a multimedia device, just look at the still crappy flash performance. I own a axim x50v and the divxs I made for it are useless on my n800. Tcpmp has got a menu entry for 2700g acceleration, I don't think it refers to PXA acceleration.

The Intellectual Property thinking is just not up to date. The omap must have been really cheap for Nokia. From the level of utilizing the chip they could have taken a lesser evolved one.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
The justification page is geared to outline the underutilised hardware and justify our need for drivers and documentation for the system.

In the past different people have have attempted informal discussions with members from all of the companies you mention but have been brushed off one way or the other (see your supplier, speak to the manufacturer, its not our IP etc)

By putting everything together and letting representatives from all the related parties have their say in the process we hope to get a clear final decision and hopefully some proper support for our hardware.

just look at the still crappy flash performance
I'd have thought Flash would feature more highly on an internet tablet than a multimedia device (so no excuse for it being rubbish, if it is, I don't tend to use Flash sites).

I own a axim x50v and the divxs I made for it are useless on my n800.
Absolutely, it could be much better; the IVA is supposed to be a way of doing this.

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
The justification page is geared to outline the underutilised hardware and justify our need for drivers and documentation for the system.

In the past different people have have attempted informal discussions with members from all of the companies you mention but have been brushed off one way or the other (see your supplier, speak to the manufacturer, its not our IP etc)

By putting everything together and letting representatives from all the related parties have their say in the process we hope to get a clear final decision and hopefully some proper support for our hardware.
Just to make my position clear, I totally endorse the site!

Nonetheless I wouldn't want to wait untill the drivers are released(personally I don't think they will be released at all, despite hoping).

Regarding the Symbian wrapper I searched a bit and found some sites about accessing system files on a symbian phone. Just enter "Nokia S60 ROM Modding" in Google.

Wow. I didn't expect a 10 page discussion. Very nice.

So, from what I gather, it's possible to write working, streamlined drivers for the accelerator, but it's hard to do and not necessarily totally legal?

So, more or less, it's a waiting game. Looks like I'll buy a PSP and risk bricking it to downgrade the firmware.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I went back and read your first post, and then I did some googling on Final Fantasy VII. There's a version specifically written for the PSP, but even if we had 3D drivers, you'd have to play FFVII under emulation, so I doubt it would be as good an experience. So yeah, for that kind of gaming, get a PSP. If you don't mind Hex-a-Hop, Bomberman, and Numpty Physics, the tablet's for you

But that aside, I really hope that excellent justification wiki page stirs the hearts of some Nokia guys enough to help us out.

Doom, Quake, and (sorta) Quake2, though!
Tyrian!

(Honestly, though those work now, Quake2 would own with 3d accel, I think. Hexen, too. And I'd kill for Chromium B.S.U. on the N800. You're understating the current game scene, but it's completely awesome what we could get with support.)

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Doom, Quake, and (sorta) Quake2, though!
Tyrian!

(Honestly, though those work now, Quake2 would own with 3d accel, I think. Hexen, too. And I'd kill for Chromium B.S.U. on the N800. You're understating the current game scene, but it's completely awesome what we could get with support.)
I'm half way through in Quake 2 on the n800
It was an important criterion to be able to play Quake before I bought my n800. I would like to know how much of my life I wasted by playing Quake I-IV, I would be shocked I think
Quake 3 on N800 would rock!(and sure be playable)

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
As a heads up, 640*480 looks just as good (practically) and has a refresh rate of ~33fps.

For 3d gaming I believe this is a perfectly achievable target.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
I've got the content of a N95 phone. Some files sounding like they could have something to do with the GPU are pvr2d.dll, pvr2dif.dll, pvromaplcd.dll, pvrsrv.dll. As I said, I've no clue what to search for.
The sys-folder has 2803 files in it!
If someone wants a link to the ROM-file send me a private message with your email-address and I will send a mail with the link.

I found some more that may be related to the GPU:
libpvrTechviewWSEGL.dll
libpvrNULLWSEGL.dll
libopenvg.dll
libomaplcd.dll
libimgegl.dll
libgles_global.dll
libgles_cm.dll

A link that contains other links that might be useful, I don't know:
http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=91942

Well, time is over for now. Forget PM. I think there shouldn't be a problem with posting a google search-string suggestion: "kostek rom" and there you are...

Last edited by derhorst; 2008-07-17 at 20:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derhorst For This Useful Post: