Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Have you forgotten? I thought it'd be cool.
Heh. The fact that I know how to engage the Windows Mobile emulator on the Itablets, does not imply that I'm dense enough to want to actually run WinMo myself.

That'd be cool, actually. That, or you could talk about what's good with the Pandora development model, and how that could be applied... and if you're determined to discard the tablet, and don't have the nerve to convert it to run Vista Ultimate, toss it out into the crowd at the end. Someone'd be happy...
I'm really impressed with the Pandora development model, at least the hardware part of it (there's a lot going on in developer country, but that's all going way over my head). These guys are actually sharing the development process with the user community, asking openly for input on every major fork in the way and they don't try to hide their mistakes or problems.

Sidenote: Does anyone know where I can find a Bitstream Vera font package that will install on Diablo -- preferrably without having to install some application I do not want?

No, no; you do the conversion for a demo, and then sell it on ebay! (Unless someone at the summit wants to buy it...

I'll poke around, but I think you can just add it like any font; download the font, put it in /home/user/.fonts or /usr/share/fonts, and run fc-cache.

I'd expect the existing package would work, but you said it doesn't, and I assume you're right.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Yes Pandora development is "impressive". Where can I get one and how much does it cost?

Got it; get the .deb from here, and install with dpkg.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Xournal finally runs, although I don't notice much of the pressure sensitivity (this is OTOH very prominent in MaemoPad+, but then again I might need to fiddle around some more).
I did set the pressure sensitivity parameters in the .xournal/config file to some values I thought would be good:

Code:
# minimum width multiplier
width_minimum_multiplier = 0.50
# maximum width multiplier
width_maximum_multiplier = 2.00
In the Xournal thread there are a few more.
You can play with them yourself once you've figured out how to install nano

I didn't notice the speed enhancements people keep shouting about, but I didn't anticipate them either, so no loss there.
I don't think there is a real speed enhancement in Diablo over Chinook.
What has gained a speedup is the browser scrolling.
That's much faster now.

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
I don't think there is a real speed enhancement in Diablo over Chinook.
What has gained a speedup is the browser scrolling.
That's much faster now.
Well, he never ran Chinook, or at least not long-term. So I think there's a speed boost from OS2007 to Diablo, but <shrug>whatever</shrug>.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Well, he never ran Chinook, or at least not long-term. So I think there's a speed boost from OS2007 to Diablo, but <shrug>whatever</shrug>.
Ok he's coming from OS2007..
How the heck he can't notice the speed up from 330Mhz to 400Mhz then?

As mentioned, they tuned the algorithm to give more dynamic results, because usage varies much more dynamically; if you just want an approximate "fuel gauge", the standby number is pretty reliable, because it doesn't vary based on current usage.
Would it be possible to have both the estimated time left, and/or alternatively (just) the percentage of "fuel" left?

Who knows, maybe some that constant calculating of time/fuel ratio is helping waste wattage for those who don't need it.

And, the restless masses are clearly demanding some kind of a fix to the one-step softpoweroff/offline question. The default behavior requires hardware press, careful menu selection (not to invoke screen lock) to select offline, another hardware press, another menu selection, and even then the screen stays on until its timeout...

: Does anyone know where I can find a Bitstream Vera font package that will install on Diablo -- preferrably without having to install some application I do not want?[/I]
You could copy the font files from /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera on your Kubuntu image to /home/user/.fonts on the tablet.

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Would it be possible to have both the estimated time left, and/or alternatively (just) the percentage of "fuel" left?
Possible; I'd rather just have the two measurements we've got now, and a %, but I think they're trying to avoid stating a %, because some people don't get the lack of precision in measuring state-of-charge on a battery under load, and would get confused...

Who knows, maybe some that constant calculating of time/fuel ratio is helping waste wattage for those who don't need it.
Not appreciably. The computations there are negligible. I've got 6 hours uptime, and the bme has taken a total of 5.11 seconds of computation.

And, the restless masses are clearly demanding some kind of a fix to the one-step softpoweroff/offline question. The default behavior requires hardware press, careful menu selection (not to invoke screen lock) to select offline, another hardware press, another menu selection, and even then the screen stays on until its timeout...
It's not that bad, I don't think. Edit your (presumably stock) /etc/mce/mce.ini, and set doublepress to softpoweroff. (And set longpress to do nothing... not necessary, but prevents inadvertent shutdowns.)
Now it's a double-click to softpoweroff. Then a longpress powers back on, and the dpad-select button unlocks. (This is my favored config...)

You can also get things working with longpress, but this worked best for me after I reduced the long-hold time to 1000 ms; also, you have funny business with the screen flashing back on, then off. Wierd. But, it does work; longpress for softpoweroff, on release, it flashes the screen and then goes out. To wake it, do a longpress, and then hit select.

Tips:
  • I've only tested this with the dim and sleep timeouts identical; in old versions at least, there was strange behavior when these were different. (Like keeping the screen on until the difference between them elapsed...)
  • It needs a longpress; the screen comes back on immediately, and displays "Now press [o]", but keep holding on to come out of offline. Then hit select.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: