Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
What elements are recognized from a LOC file? If I wanted to manually add notes to the files, is there an element that I could add that would be recognized? I would be doing this to the files on a PC before transferring them to the N800; as it would be much easier then trying to cut and paste to the notes tab in GPXview.

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Loc files are handled by their own parser inside gpxview and you can't add anything gpxview will recognize. But you can use a tool like geocachers swiss army knife (gsak) on a pc to convert them into gpx files and add more information in that process.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
Thanks, that's what I did. Converted the info in my LOCs to GPX files.

Makes it a lot easier to find a cache when you have the additional info that can be in a GPX file. Thanks again for this great app.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Belgium
Great app, tested it today with my just arrived Nokia LD-3W and n800(Diablo). Here's another idea for a feature: use the url tag from the gpx file (<url>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1993G</url>)
and make it clickable, so the url opens in the browser. In fact, you don't really need the url, since the url is allways like that. You can add options like &decrypt=yes, &log=all etc. This is quite handy if you have your internetconnection with you during the cache (eg btphone with umts), and any stylys tapping that can be avoided during caching is worth it imho.

thats a great find!

Originally Posted by rittf800 View Post
Here's another idea for a feature: use the url tag from the gpx file (<url>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1993G</url>)
and make it clickable, so the url opens in the browser.
Sounds like a nice idea ... i'll look into it. I just have to find a way to control the browser ...

Edit: There's a package named osso-browser-interface for interfacing to the browser :-)

Last edited by Master of Gizmo; 2008-07-17 at 14:48.

Originally Posted by rittf800 View Post
Here's another idea for a feature: use the url tag from the gpx file ...
Ok, here you go. Just update to the latest version and find the url on the caches main view at the very bottom together with a little web icon to launch the browser.

Other add-ons in that version (besides some bug fixes) is the "precise position" tool which is meant to be used when hiding caches rather than searching them. And there's a second export option which my wife wanted. It generates a gpx file suitable for e.g. the garmin colorado and allows you to export all those caches that have user overridden coordinates. This is e.g. useful if you've used the IT to solve mystery caches and then want to transfer rthe updated waypoints to your garmin as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
The new url icon isn't visible to me. I am using .loc files instead of gpx ones. But they also have a url and for that reason there is a main window with an url in it. But to repeat myself, the browser icon for the new version is missing for me.

You should still have my loc files in your inbox. i tested it with these ones. Perhaps you can investiagate why it is missing.

greetings,
loki

This Prgram rocks i been useing it for a few weeks now and i have found around 10 geocaches And we also placed are own .. I loke the new precise position that will come in handy .. But if there was a save to file button under precise position that will make it a loc better as i had to find a pen to copy it down . We plan on geting 3 more cache on monday . So with the lastest update and now having them show up in meamo mapper it's great.. Now if we can just get N810 GPs to lock in faster and yes i use A-GPs and my verizon cell phone but under A-gps there is a bug and it don;t see my verizon phone...

Thanks For a great program !!!

Computerfreek

Geocache ID computerfreek274

Also got my 1st TB !!

Originally Posted by loki View Post
The new url icon isn't visible to me. I am using .loc files instead of gpx ones.
Thanks, this will be fixed in the next release.