The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
Originally Posted by HowieG View Post
I see that there is a new version of agps-ui (0.10-1beta), has this made a difference to any of the problems that some were reporting here?
After I installed the update, I can no longer see the world map... I can still click and update the lat long coordinates, but on a blank screen. My assumption is that it could be related to the kernal mod that takes place as part of the android installation, because I haven't seen anyone else mention that they are experiencing the same aberration.

I didn't try a-gps so far, since I'm a little reluctant to upgrade to diablo... But I'd like to understand how it works. You have to pinpoint on a map where you are, and then it fetches on the internet data about the current location of the satellites? Is it that simple?

Originally Posted by t24 View Post
I didn't try a-gps so far, since I'm a little reluctant to upgrade to diablo... But I'd like to understand how it works. You have to pinpoint on a map where you are, and then it fetches on the internet data about the current location of the satellites? Is it that simple?
Yes, and for me anyway it has solved the problem of a long delay in Sat lock issues. My best time is a 14 second lock and my worst has been just under a minute and that has been consistent. Others haven't been as fortunate, but for me A-GPS beta has been the best option to come out of Nokia to solve the slow satellite aquisition problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to callanish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by callanish View Post
Yes, and for me anyway it has solved the problem of a long delay in Sat lock issues. My best time is a 14 second lock and my worst has been just under a minute and that has been consistent. Others haven't been as fortunate, but for me A-GPS beta has been the best option to come out of Nokia to solve the slow satellite aquisition problem.
Similar experiences here, 15 to 30 seconds to get GPS fix with A-GPS. The first version A-GPS was very unstable but with version 0.10-1 it has improved quite a bit.

You can download satellite information either with WLAN or with phone data connection. Unless you can see 8-12 satellites in your GPS information screen almost instantly, it is not downloading satellite info and A-GPS is not working.

The Following User Says Thank You to aot For This Useful Post:
Anyone know if A-GPS will work with my N800+Blueooth GPS+MaemoMapper tethered to a Sprint Treo 700p's EVDO? Im a bit confused, will it only work with GSM carriers?

Last edited by migs; 2008-07-21 at 18:52.

Originally Posted by migs View Post
Anyone know if A-GPS will work with my N800+Blueooth GPS Tethered to a Sprint Treo 700p's EVDO? Im a bit confused, will it only work with GSM carriers?
Works for me with both GPRS and WLAN so I dont see why it wouldn't work with your Treo.

Originally Posted by aot View Post
Works for me with both GPRS and WLAN so I dont see why it wouldn't work with your Treo.
I was under the impression that Sprint EVDO may not work for A-GPS...

In the A-GPS Beta app, when I select settings, the option for "Preferred connection" is disabled I do not get the option to select my carrier.

Originally Posted by migs View Post
I was under the impression that Sprint EVDO may not work for A-GPS...

In the A-GPS Beta app, when I select settings, the option for "Preferred connection" is disabled I do not get the option to select my carrier.
WLAN is not there either but if the connection is active it will download satellite info and works just fine. The way I have understood the preferred connection functionality is that it is the connection that A-GPS will automatically start if not network connectivity is not found. That's the way it works for me as my GPRS connection is set as the preferred connection and it automatically starts when no WLAN is active.

Originally Posted by aot View Post
You can download satellite information either with WLAN or with phone data connection. Unless you can see 8-12 satellites in your GPS information screen almost instantly, it is not downloading satellite info and A-GPS is not working.
Now, what if I download the information indoor (where I have my wireless lan but no view of the sky) and go outside 5 minutes later (where I can see the sky but I can't download anything)? WIll it improve?

And there's no chinook version coming, right?

Tags
a-gps, gps