Active Topics

Hi guys.

Now dont get me wrong - I love my N810, and use it more than my home PC these day. There are just a few small niggles that
1) Need to be fixed or
2) I need to learn how to do things better.

I would like to suggest a thread where everyone gets to suggest one (ONLY) peeve. If anyone has a suggestion - please contribute, so we (esp me) can learn something. If no one has an idea how to get it done, then the UI designers get to learn something. Pls note - we all want a 2.4Ghz processor, 64G storage space etc, so I'd like us to stick to the user experience (mostly UI and ergonomics)

I'll kick off with my first peeve :

WHEN AN APP IS BEING RUN FULLSCREEN WITH THE KEYBOARD TUCKED AWAY - HOW DO I ACCESS THE APPLICATION MENU? Currently I have to either haul out the keyboard to press the menu button (which should have been outside as with the N800 in the first place!) or I have to restore the app to non full screen mode, haul out the stylus and click on the menu bar at the top.

When I am in bed reading on my N810, or surfing the web, I often want to access the menu - eg to open an new browser window. I cant do this in fullscreen or without the keyboard.

Any suggestions? Anyone?

You can remap the keys, exchanging between Menu key and one of the keys that are outside.

For example, running the command

xmodmap -e "keycode 9 = F4"

Will make the Escape key behave as the Menu key.

To return to normal behaviour:

xmodmap -e "keycode 9 = Escape"

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
i switch my n800 between normal and offline a lot. so it gets pretty annoying that i have to answer the 'are you sure' question. by the time i get that box, i have already made three key presses. the power button especially is impossible to press by accident, so of course i'm sure!