Active Topics

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I have used the E50 on ATT I don't have any benchmarks but it worked pretty much as fast on EDGE as my N75 which supports UMTS barely any difference in streaming with the internet radio player on my N810. Now that the N78 is 399 I might go and get that so I can upgrade to HSDPA and try out the new s60 (feature pack 2)

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
is it possible to connect the e51 and the n810 via wifi? because it is a lot faster than bluetooth.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
there is a program called Joikuspot that provides this functionality.

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
I've got an E51 and an N800 and I think it has to be the greatest combo since peanut butter and jelly. I was previously using it with a $20 a month unlimited data plan (GPRS/EDGE only) and am on a similar plan with a different carrier. I wouldn't call it the fastest in the world, but its good for general web browsing and updating the various bits of software. I also have tested the Joikuspot application and it works as advertised, EDGE isn't great but its fast enough that my girlfriend and I were able to browse the web on the N800 and a laptop simultaneously. Since we don't live in New York we don't have T-Mobile 3G, and I don't know that the E51 could do it anyways (that's why I'll upgrade to an E71 if 3G ever gets here). All in all for the price I'm very happy with my E51 + N800 vs the E90 I could have gotten for the same money. I get the benefits of Linux and a touchscreen as well as Symbian for the same price I would have paid otherwise.

Everyone is probably aware of many of the things you can do with the N800, RDP to a windows server, VNC to a Linux one, I was able to SFTP to a storage server and monitor the progress of an upload from another remote computer. There are torrent clients, streaming radio, and even the Carman software for the gearheads (of which I'm not, but I luuuurve my gadgets).

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
wait till you guys get Gizmo and Voipbuster working with the E51. The only phone I would replace this with is the E66.

I have MSN Messenger running on mine, and the J2ME client for Gmail. With a 2GB microSD card, I've also got a core set of my favourite albums and stream them over A2DP to my SE stereo earphones.

Toss in Mail for Exchange connectivity to my office email system and it's become almost perfect.

If only it has GPS and A-GPS

I replaced my SE k550i with an E51 about a month ago. I was mad to get an E51 at that time. Unfortunately I don't really like it, there are so many minor things that make an SE phone much more comfortable for me. And I don't really see any point of having a Wifi enabled phone and the N800 as well (mobile internet in Hungary is bloody expensive).

BUT! With the E51 connecting to a hotspot is just a half second. I can check my e-mails when I'm sitting on the bus in a traffic jam with the E51 whilst connecting with the N800 takes ages. And I think it's wifi is less sensitive. So at some point E51 seems to be a better pocket friend than an N800.

What do you think? Is it just me or is the E51 has much better wifi than tha N800?

I share your experience. It's a mystery to me how much faster this phone connects to Wifi APs (even WPA protected) compared to the tablets. The browser is actually quite capable too.

I wonder if it's a hardware or just a driver issue. I expected the E51 to have a much weaker wifi since it's smaller, so there's less space for an antenna. And the N800 has stronger power source and it's main communication way is the wifi. But I was wrong.

I'm sitting in my room, there's a router near the entrance (two walls and about 12-15 meter). The E51 can connect to it, but drops it afterward, the N800 can't even connect.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
JoikuSpot and WWMWiFi (for WM) only support plain and WEP; not WPA2. N810 does not have good GPS. Nokia E71 which I got has a good GPS and a nice but small keyboard. Great to tether with. It is also possible to use the GPS of E71 on the N810. Both devices have same battery although my N810 instead has a Mugen so for long distance travel the Nokia BP-4L is backup battery for either device.