Cool to know it runs, but IMHO Evolution is the best solution to the Email/PIM debacle. Running it directly would be a dog, but we already have EDS in the tablet and some complete solution using that would be a great solution to the Email/Pim problem. Not to mention it would be easy to sync. Right now, GPE establishes its own database so its hard to tie into the default apps and syncing contacts is a no-go. Pimlico pretty much decided to drop devleopment for maemo, and we do have projects like Thunderbird, Abiword, etc happening to see what can be done to port to maemo and be usable. Evo just seems to be another app worth looking into.
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Originally Posted by combatdoc View Post
Can you run a debian armel compiled app in maemo? I am not too worried about hildonization right off, just wanna see if its possible.
I certainly cannot answer about every Debian ARMEL compiled app, but you can run some complex, dynamically linked apps very well.

Originally Posted by combatdoc View Post
There is an Evolution port for Debian Armel and I want to see if it will run under maemo. That way we would have a well established PIM/E-mail suite that works and would use the already in place EDS backend (therefore saving diskspace, et al).
You may be interested in the KDEPIMPI PIM/E-mail suite. The Debian compiled ARMEL release works very well on an N810. Since it's not "Hildonized", a hardware keyboard or Xkbd virtual keyboard (untested) are required...the Maemo virtual keyboard on the N800 and N770 won't work. There are some issues with the on-screen placement of pop-up windows, but they are easy to overcome.