Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Intel's Atom may have not been designed for this type of a device, but Nvidia's Tegra certainly was. It was designed from the ground up as a low power, high performance ultra-mobile chipset.

Here are some of the features at a glance:
- ARM11 Core running 700MHz or 800MHz (Tegra 600 or Tegra 650)
- Ability to decode 1080p video stream (H.264)
- Ability to encode 720p video stream (H.264)
- Video out (HDMI 1.3) at full 1080p
- Open GL ES 2.0 compliant
- Advanced 3D graphics with UPL GeForce GPU
- Programmable pixel/vertex shaders
- Ultra low power system on a chip

This comer is a little late to the game, but Nvidia arguably makes a quality product with a focus on 3D and performance. This chipset, from the demos and the specs, looks to be a powerhouse. Interestingly, it seems Nvidia has also invested some time in developing a GUI for Tegra Devices (running on WinMo I believe).

For those that haven't seen, you can watch some demos of the chipset in action using this link.

With the introduction of this chipset, Nvidia is looking to break into the mobile world in a big way. I'm guessing that the N900 won't be alone, but will be flanked by many high powered devices mobile devices making the N900 specs seem a little less special.

Should the Nokia entertain the notion of including Tegra in the future tablets?

}:^)~
YARR!

libcorrupt.so

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Expect september. There's a pre-order mailing list for the brave.

Or the, you know, terminally stupid. Needless to say I signed up.
Since you'll be an early adopter would you care to post a review once you received your Pandora device?

The synchronization issue is due to lack of a user friendly, supported & hildonized PIM solution with iCal export and import and/or OpenSync support. You want your synchronization framework to be as platform and application independent as possible. For e-mail, this problem doesn't exist because of the IMAP standard.

NVidia's Tegra opens the opportunity to all kind of hardware acceleration in UI and games and such. The NIT currently isn't aimed at 3D games, nor does it contain much (functional) eye-candy, so in order to switch it'd constitute a big change in maemo. Given the design of the Pandora (potentially, a mini portable game computer) it'd be more in the interest for such device, than the NIT. The NIT, as it is, serves different goals than a primary goal of gaming. Switching to a totally different platform is not child's play, BTW. IMO Tegra is definetely something to keep an eye on.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Since you'll be an early adopter would you care to post a review once you received your Pandora device?
Knowing Karel, I'm sure he'll be happy to post a review gloat when he gets hold of one.

I'm not horribly impressed with the Tegra; it does look good on paper, but it has the natural advantage of coming out later and, perhaps more importantly, of still being practically on paper; real-world devices may not perform quite so well as preproduction prototypes, and/or fail to eliminate some of the drawbacks that are understandable with prototypes, such as poor battery life.

That said, as I said it does look good on paper, so I'm certainly interested to watch it. It's just easy to overhype each new technology at this stage, and always be disappointed with the actual implementations.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
NVidia's Tegra opens the opportunity to all kind of hardware acceleration in UI and games and such. The NIT currently isn't aimed at 3D games, nor does it contain much (functional) eye-candy, so in order to switch it'd constitute a big change in maemo. Given the design of the Pandora (potentially, a mini portable game computer) it'd be more in the interest for such device, than the NIT. The NIT, as it is, serves different goals than a primary goal of gaming. Switching to a totally different platform is not child's play, BTW. IMO Tegra is definetely something to keep an eye on.
My thoughts precisely. I'm generally optimistic about the technology but am aware of a one or two huge obstacles changing architectures. The high-spec'd OMAP 3430 looks to be comparable in capability, so the disadvantages of completely changing architecture may very well outweigh the hypothetical advantages of performance.

I think that this chipset may be NVidia's departure from strictly game-type devices. The device renderings on the Tegra site look more like PDAs and MIDs/ITs than portable gaming units. The same can be said about the demo apps. So although this technology seems poised to accomodate games well, I think it's marketed towards the general purpose handheld.

I'm very optimistic about the Tegra and will be watching it with enthusiasm. The one thing that it promises is competition to the current NITs and MIDs which can only mean more choices for the consumer!

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt Fishsticks (tm)

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
That said, as I said it does look good on paper, so I'm certainly interested to watch it. It's just easy to overhype each new technology at this stage, and always be disappointed with the actual implementations.
True for those of us that set expectation.

YARR!

Boatman Corrupt

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
... and even from the apathetic bunch in the middle!
I'm in the apathetic bunch, mostly because I doubt we'll get service that will work with it any time soon here in Canada, although I would love to have this kind of access on a n810w-type device.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
The high-spec'd OMAP 3430 looks to be comparable in capability, so the disadvantages of completely changing architecture may very well outweigh the hypothetical advantages of performance.
Comparable? I'm sorry, but an ARM11 just doesn't compare with a Cortex A8. Besides, you do realize that Nvidia has basically said that there wont be Linux support, right? and that TI is putting a lot of manpower behind OMAP3 and Linux?

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Austria
I'd like to see a tilt sensor to automagically change screen orientation depending on how you hold it

Are oled screens in the 800x480 or 1024x??? size available yet? I frequently read in bed and the backlight bleeds through the black.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Comparable? I'm sorry, but an ARM11 just doesn't compare with a Cortex A8.
Comparable in capability. Like encoding/decoding video, displaying 3D, running a web browser, editing a document, playing chess, etc.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Besides, you do realize that Nvidia has basically said that there wont be Linux support, right? and that TI is putting a lot of manpower behind OMAP3 and Linux?
No, the lack of linux support is news to me, but it's not entirely surprising; WinMo is all over the Tegra site. TIs investment in OMAP3 seems obvious, and their product and investment in linux has been established.

But it'll still be interesting (for me and a few others) to follow Tegra Developments. Competition generally means good things for the consumer.

YARR!

Corrupt the gracious

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist