Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
apt-get is definitely not the recommended way to install this update. apt-get upgrade in particular.

@GA it may not be the best way- but it never showed up in app manager for me even after following your helpful hints... i still haven't been able to upgrade and i am stuck like @HHH

Originally Posted by prk60091 View Post
@GA it may not be the best way- but it never showed up in app manager for me even after following your helpful hints... i still haven't been able to upgrade and i am stuck like @HHH
Alright, I do believe I have it figured out. Here's how it went down:

At some point in time between originally flashing Diablo and the update being pushed, you, through direct or indirect action, removed osso-software-version-rx44 which cause you not to be able to see the update in Application manager.

Because of this, you decided to take the next-best route and update using apt-get upgrade, which didn't work out entirely, as some packages that osso-software-version-rx44 depends on we're not pulled in and not upgraded.

It was partially successful, though, because at least one important package was installed: nokia-repositories. Which proceeded to update your repository list and do two things. The first, which is actually unimportant here but pissed me off enough to mention it, is disabling maemo.org Extras, and the second, is changing the entry for the Tableteer update repo to point to the diablo-1 section instead of the diablo one.

This, of course, leads to the end result of you not having a completely upgraded system and also not being able to try to complete the upgrade again, as the repository you were getting your packages from is no longer in your sources.list and the repository that replaced it does not contain those packages.*

The solution? First, remove the nokia-repositories package with an apt-get remove nokia-repositories. Depending on the quality of the package (which is already low since it screwed with user settings on a LIVE system. . . .), this may or may not fix the issue. If it does not (you can confirm by running cat on your sources.list again), then simply edit the sources.list to change the diablo-1/ back to a diablo/. Second, re-install osso-software-version-rx44, open up Application manager, refresh the repositories, install the OS2008 Feature Upgrade and your system will be back up to speed.

/sherlock

*This is why it's a bad idea to apt-get upgrade your way to 30-2 if you don't have osso-software-version-rx*4 installed.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-08-13 at 03:26.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
I cannot find osso-software-version-rx44. I tried all the suggestions and even manually edited hildon-application-manager.list and made sure diablo-1 was removed.

trying to remove osso-software-version-unlocked results in:
Code:
Removing osso-software-version-unlocked ...
cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/osso-software-version-unlocked/osso-software-version-rx34_4.2008.23-14_all.deb': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/osso-software-version-unlocked/osso-software-version-rx44_4.2008.23-14_all.deb': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing osso-software-version-unlocked (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 osso-software-version-unlocked
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Can anyone supply the correct osso-software-version-rx44.deb since it now seems to be missing?
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

i did apt-get upgrade as a matter of habit. i didn't know about this update until after i had the problem. i had know idea it would hose my system.

My only recourse is to re-flash ?
i guess i learned my lesson. always use app manager.

Originally Posted by MattZTexasu View Post
i guess i learned my lesson. always use app manager.
Well, no, that's not the answer.

Nokia designed the upgrade system to work with the Application manager, but it doesn't handle edge-cases (like apt-get upgrading without an osso-software-version) all that well. If your repositories are in good order (no skanky 3rd-party repos and no SDK repo), and you have osso-software-version-rx*4 installed then you wont have an issue with an apt-get upgrade.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Hi All;

(BTW, I'm using my new $10.00 A4 Tech mini-keyboard on my NIT to type this. Very nice little kbd!)

Today my n810 told me there was an OS2008 update available. I was about to blindly install it but something made check the ITT forum first.

After reading all 28 pages of this thread, I decided to chance it, because anything that claims to make MicroB faster is very tempting. (If you want a horribly slow experience, try google maps in MicroB). I dual-boot; both partitions have Diablo. I grabbed fanoush's latest initfs_flash, got it ready, copied my bootmenu.conf.

I did the update while booted to flash. It seemed to work ok; control panel reports 4.2008.30-2. It wiped out my boot menu but that was easy to fix - used gunzip on initfs_flash.tgz, did a tar -xvf, put it right under / , read Fanoush's README.txt, ran initfs_flash; it grabbed my saved bootmenu and I am able to boot to SD and to flash. I'm booted to SD as I post this.

Here's my confusion. Now, while booted to SD, App Manager is happliy advertising that (4.2008.30-2) is available. However, if I go to control panel, it reports that I am running 4.2008.30-2!

I'm tempted to install it while booted to SD, but I'm afraid. (yes, I frighten easily). I * think* that if I do, the worst that will happen is I will need to redo the initfs_flash. But, I have no idea if I need to. It's very odd that control panel would report the new version when booted to SD after I installed it while booted to flash.

Any suggestions most welcome.

BTW, I LOVE LOVE *love* the new minimalist theme! Thanks to Reggie and all responsible! It is a beautiful thing. Hooo-Ray!!.

$teve

Originally Posted by stevecrye View Post
Here's my confusion. Now, while booted to SD, App Manager is happliy advertising that (4.2008.30-2) is available. However, if I go to control panel, it reports that I am running 4.2008.30-2!
Well, that's because the version string doesn't come from the rootfs.

Grab another copy of fanoush's flasher for the SD and upgrade that partition, too.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-08-13 at 05:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Argentina
Hi, I'm one of those with the broken update. I have an N800, the ! flashed and I clicked, updated through the application manager and everything looked ok. It didn't reboot, so I rebooted, it appeared to work, booted ok, everything works, but in control panel->about product it still says 23-14. And in application manager OS2008 Feature upgrade gives status as broken.
Several people have asked this before, but I couldn't find the answer (short of reflash). How do I fix it?

I did everything as it was supposed to be done, never entered redpill, not one chinook repository on my list, nothing fancy installed (fbreader, scummvm, mplayer, dosbox, rubybox), the only thing I uninstalled was the maemo welcome (I think that is what it was called, after flashing to diablo, when you pressed "2008" it showed an animation about the tablet, not the advertising about the N810), but it never asked to remove dependencies. I have a lot of free room on the main memory (about 107MB) and about 118MB on the internal expansion.

this is my cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list

deb http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/certified/ diablo user
deb http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/non-certified/ diablo user
deb http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/updates/diablo-1 ./
deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras/ diablo free non-free

I had some chinook repositories before (turned them off before updating) that I used for rubybox IIRC. I know that the diablo-1 is wrong, but I can't change them from the application manager.

How can I check if I have osso-software-version-rx44 installed? I saw the update signal, does that mean it is installed?

Any ideas why did it fail? If I flash, and then update again, will it fail again?

Thanks

Last edited by Valeria; 2008-08-13 at 07:14.

Originally Posted by Valeria View Post
I know that the diablo-1 is wrong, but I can't change them from the application manager.
No, it's not 'wrong'. Nokia has decided (for whatever damn reason) to have a new update repo for each release, diablo-1 is correct once you've installed 30-2.

Originally Posted by Valeria View Post
How can I check if I have osso-software-version-rx44 installed? I saw the update signal, does that mean it is installed?
If you saw the update, it's installed.

It's tough to say why exactly it might have failed, but does the Application manager's log show anything? Does an apt-get -f install fix it? Or perhaps a flash-and-reboot?

Tags
browser, email, microb, modest, os2008, ssu, stability, update