My long-term goal is to recompile wpa_supplicant (I need TTLS/PAP). Unfortunately I also need a patched kernel module of the wifi driver cx3110 to communicate with wpa_supplicant (via wext).
So far I have installed the Diablo SDK, downloaded the kernel sources and have recompiled the kernel following the SDK documentation.
Now I downloaded the (so far not patched) cx3110x driver from here:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/cx3110x/
(I got version 1.2).
Recompiling the module fails with an error - INIT_WORK only takes 2 and not 3 parameters. I searched a bit and concluded that the 3rd parameter is not needed anymore, removing it indeed made the compiler happy. The resulting kernel module is not functional, though. I can insmod it successfully and dmesg tells me everything is fine. "chroot /mnt/initfs /usr/bin/wlan-cal" comes also back with [OK]. But "Select Connection" does not see any AP anymore, and "ifconfig wlan0 up" hangs completely. Again, the module was just compiled, I did not apply any patches yet.
How can I get this to work and as I suspect that the sources on garage.maemo.org are older, where can I find the current sources of the wifi module? If there would be a complete source package with wext support already builtin, that would be perfect. TIA!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atarixl For This Useful Post:
One of the problems you may be having is the src files you have are out of date. Always check http://repository.maemo.org/pool/ for the latest versions of files as project pages in maemo.org can sometimes be confusing as they can be fairly old.

As far as im aware http://repository.maemo.org/pool/dia...0x-module-src/ should be the latest copies of the files(for diablo at least, go up the tree for other os versions) you need. Please let us know how you get on.

Craig

Thank you very much for your quick reply - I am new to Maemo and did not know about the repository. The source works perfectly, I can recompile the module without any errors and can insert it and everything works fine.
OK, so now I did the next step and patched it for the wireless extensions and that also worked. I recompiled wpa_supplicant for Diablo and voila - I can log into our network! Now everything works nicely - on the command-line. I can ssh into our machines here and so forth, but once I start a gui application, everything falls apart. The gui does not realize that I am connected and scans for APs, breaking my own connection in the process. I know about the Dummy-IAPs and tried the gconftool trick mentioned in the wiki, but had no success under Diablo (it worked for me under Chinook). I can see the DEFAULT connection in the connetivity settings / connection dialog, but not in the select connection box. Any idea how I can get the last step to work?

EDIT:
OK, this seems to be a known bug in Diablo, see also https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3306
I found the following workaround with the ad-hoc network:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...667&oldid=2662
which makes my wpa_supplicant solution now fully functional at least for our network here :-)

Last edited by atarixl; 2008-08-15 at 00:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to atarixl For This Useful Post:
Super work ... I don't know why this isn't included by default. There has to be a lot of us who need the enterprise security.

Does this solve an existing bug? If so, could you post the patch to the bug in question?

I see a couple of bugs about WPA, but from reading the comments, it appears that these seem to be some problem with specific hardware, rather than a generic WPA problem.

I don't know much about WPA so forgive my ignorance if this is a well known issue.

No, this does not solve any bug - the dummy-iap bug is in Diablo and Nokia already promised to fix it, so lets hope the mentioned workaround is not necessary with a future update.
Overall, I only recompiled stuff (wpa_supplicant and a patched cx3110x driver) for Diablo and did not develop anything myself. Maemo does not support TTLS/PAP, but wpa_supplicant does. Ideally Nokia would finally add that to their own implementation, but I needed something now. And yes, this is a well known issue, a lot of universities seem to use TTLS/PAP, there were several threads about it in the past.

Last edited by atarixl; 2008-08-15 at 16:17.

Well this might be worth adding as an enhancement bug specifically for the lack of TTLS/PAP in WPA?

I am new Maemo, so I would not know how to do this anyway, but I think this is really a well known problem with Maemo and Nokia devices in general. No other Nokia product can connect to those networks either, google finds a ton of pages where people complain about this. I would think that Nokia is aware of this problem, but sure, adding it to some bug-listing would not do any harm either...

It's not a fix, but you might want to flag it to the attention of Maemo bug 417 (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=417) since WEP + 802.1x also requires wpa_supplicant, and your patch should allow that configuration, too, since wpa_supplicant does.

Thanks for your work on this, I'll have to give it a try to see if it works for me!

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Petrinja, Croatia
Originally Posted by atarixl View Post
Overall, I only recompiled stuff (wpa_supplicant and a patched cx3110x driver) for Diablo and did not develop anything myself. Maemo does not support TTLS/PAP, but wpa_supplicant does. Ideally Nokia would finally add that to their own implementation, but I needed something now. And yes, this is a well known issue, a lot of universities seem to use TTLS/PAP, there were several threads about it in the past.
I have also university with eduroam network that requires TTLS/PAP authentication. Could you please send me or post here patched cx3110x module and compiled wpa_supplicant. It would solve all my problems with connecting to that network.