Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Because no-one actually needs to proactively do anything any more, perhaps? Just click on the flashing "[!]" and select "Install updates".
Rrrrright, that explains this 37 pages thread...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amigokin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by crabolsky View Post
My browser is definitely taking longer to load pages. The load applet shows the cpu maxing out when loading pages that used to take about half that. Anyone else experiencing this?
Right after booting the browser feels snappier, but after some time it goes slower and slower (of course this is my subjective impression, so it could be wrong).
I suspect that browserd is to blame and quitting the browser and restarting browserd should fix it for a while.
I couldn't test my "fix" since the tablet spontaneusly reboots itself

Last edited by luca; 2008-08-21 at 14:56. Reason: typos

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Summerside, PEI, Canada
OK, I'm one of those "didn't notice any problems until I checked the control panel and saw 23-14" people. My application manager no longer shows the new upgrade available.

I didn't actually see the upgrade until today, and I upgraded before reading the thread. I did a backup, and restored from backup immediately after upgrading (which no one has mentioned. Was that a good idea? bad idea?)

Nothing seems to be not working. Internet is fine. All my applications were still there. Tablet is neither reboot-looping nor whistling nor smoking nor attempting world domination.

My question is: is there any harm in just waiting until the NEXT update and seeing what happens when I try to update through the application manager at that time?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
I didn't actually see the upgrade until today, and I upgraded before reading the thread. I did a backup, and restored from backup immediately after upgrading (which no one has mentioned. Was that a good idea? bad idea?)
Why, exactly, did you think you needed to restore the backup?

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
I'm sure I'll get zapped for not searching, so if you're that kind of person, read no further. But since we're talking about updates, does this seem normal: while many updates do seem to be arriving via the [!], and while updates also show up when I go to App Manager and refresh updates, some have not been showing up unless I go to edit the repository, then click OK without changing any repository details, and then closing the catalog management window. For example, this occurred yesterday when TrueJournals said that a new version of pyRdesktop had been pushed through to Maemo Extras.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
Any thoughts?
The repositories only refresh automatically once every 24 hours. . . . There's no need to edit the catalog to force an update, there's a whole button just for that on the toolbar.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
My repositories refresh every 60 minutes. Gconf-editor FTW! (It's stored in /apps/hildon/update-notifier/check_interval.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Summerside, PEI, Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Why, exactly, did you think you needed to restore the backup?
Because I believe I restored the backup after the last manual flashing. (I could be misremembering, or remembering back to the (multiple) times when I tried to upgrade to 2008 in the first place and perhaps needed it...)

So, if restoring the back up negated the upgrade (if that's what happened), or whether for some other reason I am 30.2-less, is it reasonable to expect that if I just wait for the next automatic update, I can bypass this 30.2 and just jump on the train at the next stop? (... and not restore the backup next time! )

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
The repositories only refresh automatically once every 24 hours. . . . There's no need to edit the catalog to force an update, there's a whole button just for that on the toolbar.
Sorry, I guess I was unclear. I did use the button, and the update didn't appear (even though the app's author said it had been in Maemo Extras for a couple hours). But then when I fake edited the repository, TaDa!, it appeared. That was the mystery.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
My repositories refresh every 60 minutes.
So you are to blame for the repeated failures of maemo.org to cope with the traffic!

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, email, microb, modest, os2008, ssu, stability, update