Notices

I know other posts have referred to this but I have not found any solutions.

The email program on the tablets used to be able to delete mail from the POP server when deleting locally.

Since the upgrade to Modest this feature is gone. I have not seen any other Email program for the tablet that will do it either.

I have a simple request, is there any e-mail program for the tablet that when connecting to a POP server can leave the email on the server but also delete the email from the server when it is deleted on the tablet?

I like to leave important emails on the server until I pick them up with my desktop email program. But when traveling having to delete a weeks worth of junk mail twice is just a waste of time (once on the tablet and once on the desktop)

Thanks

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway

I had opened something similar while modest was in beta. It was closed. It is clear that developers working on Modest have no intention of adding this missing functionality that is why I am looking for something else.

It would have been nice if the mail upgrade had maintained the same features as the previous version but as far as pop mail is concerned they reduced the functionality in their upgrade.

you sure it was not closed because it was a duplicate of something?

as for alternatives, i guess claw(s?)-mail is the prefered power user client.

be warned tho that the interface is not adapted to the tablet in any way...

No, it was closed when they moved modest out of beta. The programmers just decided to ignore it.

I use Claws for my RSS reader, I do not use it for email for the same issue. I searched the bug tracker for Claws and saw the same thing. Somebody opened a bug about mail not getting deleted from the server upon delete from the client. It was closed saying basically that this will not be implemented.

Outlook, outlook express, thunderbird... All do this, it can't be that hard why don't any of the tablet email programs do it?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by rone View Post
No, it was closed when they moved modest out of beta. The programmers just decided to ignore it.
Care to provide a link? Otherwise claims like this are rather . . erm, ******ed. If it was on the Garage tracker, then of course it was closed, as Modest's Garage tracker was closed (and, really, should never have been opened in the first place).

For future reference, when making claims like "The developers are idiots and wont implement my feature request", please provide some evidence.

Your ISP may provide a mobile webmail page. You can probably manage your email as you want this way.

Originally Posted by dfinch View Post
Your ISP may provide a mobile webmail page. You can probably manage your email as you want this way.
making modest useless in the process...

sure, it can seem like something of a hack. but as long as the pop protocol provides for a separate delete command (a mail is not automatically deleted on a successful download, the client have to request that a mail is downloaded from the server), there is no logical reason not to implement something like this.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Care to provide a link? Otherwise claims like this are rather . . erm, ******ed. If it was on the Garage tracker, then of course it was closed, as Modest's Garage tracker was closed (and, really, should never have been opened in the first place).

For future reference, when making claims like "The developers are idiots and wont implement my feature request", please provide some evidence.
Do not put words in my mouth, I never said they were idiots. That is you talking.

Do not imply am I ******ed or lying. Your post shows just where your attitude is.

Here is the link. I was wrong I entered it as enhancement not as bug. https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/ind..._id=9&atid=112

The enhancement request already exists for the released product but I doubt it will ever be done.

Originally Posted by dfinch View Post
Sorry, I host my own email server and the free program I have does not offer a free web interface. I do not have the extra funds to pay for the web interface.

This also would not allow me to take my mail with me and work with it when I am off line. I know I could not delete email with the old email program when offline and have it delete on the server but I could read through it off line and delete it later.