Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
Originally Posted by rone View Post
Outlook, outlook express, thunderbird... All do this, it can't be that hard why don't any of the tablet email programs do it?
I never did quite understand the overall dissatisfaction with the OS2007 email client. I found it simple, clean, and effective on the Tablet. The delete-on-the-server option mentioned here is yet another reason that I'm glad that I'm still running OS2007 (and Opera WITH MicroB) on my N800.
Of course, I'm also digging many of the other improvements of having Diablo on my N810.......

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
I never did quite understand the overall dissatisfaction with the OS2007 email client. I found it simple, clean, and effective on the Tablet. The delete-on-the-server option mentioned here is yet another reason that I'm glad that I'm still running OS2007 (and Opera WITH MicroB) on my N800.
Of course, I'm also digging many of the other improvements of having Diablo on my N810.......
it was the google-imap junkies that didnt like it. that, and the ui was messy compared to modest. but for a pop user it was nice. and someone ones wrote that osso-mail with modest gui would have been perfect...

Originally Posted by tso View Post
isomeone ones wrote that osso-mail with modest gui would have been perfect...
That is what I am looking for, any suggestions?

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by tso View Post
as for alternatives, i guess claw(s?)-mail is the prefered power user client.

be warned tho that the interface is not adapted to the tablet in any way...
Can you elaborate - I've used claws for a couple of years - from my N770 to my current N800 (from private hosted imap server to google apps website/mail).

Claws works like a charm, and is pretty optimized for the n800. Only drawback is that it is cumbersome to setup + there is a million+1 options which is quite confusing.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Charlotte, NC
Sorry, I host my own email server and the free program I have does not offer a free web interface. I do not have the extra funds to pay for the web interface.

This also would not allow me to take my mail with me and work with it when I am off line. I know I could not delete email with the old email program when offline and have it delete on the server but I could read through it off line and delete it later.

For a free webmail interface, check out mail2web.com (at http://www.mail2web.com/). As long as you have a username and password, you can access any POP or IMAP email account via the web.

I use this on my N800 to check my less critical email addresses.

Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
Only drawback is that it is cumbersome to setup + there is a million+1 options which is quite confusing.
bingo. that and the texts, menus and buttons become to small on the screen.

in essence, its not "hildonized"

That is what I am looking for, any suggestions?
right now, none. only option i see is for someone that can code in whatever language osso-mail was written, to basically copy off some of the ui refinements of modest (for me specifically, having title and address of a mail on different lines. oh and that you dont mix multiple accounts in a single inbox).

in a way, i would love for someone to clone the modified modest ui form here: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=22293

and apply it to osso-mail.

thats basically all the mail client i think i need.

for my level of mail use, imap is overkill, and also its unavailable on the accounts i have available to me right now. and no, i dont feel like signing up with google or similar to have it grab the mail from all of them and put them in one place.

and reading about claws-mail, it sounds like both the devs there and those working on modest/tinymail see pop as a legacy protocol best forgotten, and imap being the new god. and based in that the pop implementation is at a bare minimum...