Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vienna, Austria
Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I still keep having big problems with Modest on Diablo (4.2008.30-2), which makes me unable to use it.

1) It's already the second time in a month that the client doesn't show anymore incoming emails. The summary shows an amount of 20 emails in the inbox folder, but no title is shown. Restarting the system doesn't help. Last time I had to delete the local stored email to restore a working behavior.

2) SMTP doesn't work as well. I use a company SMTP server with user/pass authentication which never failed in years. Modest was able to send an email once, and after that it always said "Failed to send message". At the same time, If I try to send a mail with my laptop/thunderbird (and same SMTP of course), I got no problem.

Since Modest is the default client, and since it's the only client completely integrated with the OS, I find this problems a big issue.

Any other got such behavior?

Thanks,

Umberto

Originally Posted by umberto_soprano View Post
Since Modest is the default client, and since it's the only client completely integrated with the OS, I find this problems a big issue.
Same here. After the last update, it no longer crashes or eats CPU, but it no longer appears to check for email either. It did work for a day or two but then stopped.

Of course it's a pain in the *** if you can't rely on the default email client.
Perhaps claws-mail is an alternative.
With the "minimize to tray" plugin and the automatic startup (sorry forget in which file I added the command) it completly replaced modest for me.

Another things is the UI of claws mail. After installation it is not quite usabe, but if you increase the default font and change the setting for the toolbars (send, forward, answer) to show as text and not as icons, the UI is superior to modest.

Last but not least it is more flexible. In combination with a cron job you can deside when to check for mails. E.g. at work time every 5 minutes. At free time every 30 minutes.

Give it a try and maybe you'll dump modest as I did.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vienna, Austria
Thank you, I'm giving out a try on Claws and everything seems to work at the moment.
Working on UI personalization (new thread opened soon).

Umberto

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Any updates on the Modest-bug of not automatic updating emails?

I have jsut moved to Diablo and installed the latest updates - but Modest doesn't auto-update my emails...