Posts: 48 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Canada
I purchased a n800 on 01/31/2008 for 229.97 cnd$ from tigerdirect.ca and promptly updated it and installed applications.

First problem:
My mic appears to be broken. At first i thought it was because of ogg suport but it dose not work after a reflash eather. If I use a bt mic or the headset it works fine but the built in mic dose not work most of the time. (it randomly will every once and while for a few seconds)

As I was getting ready to send it to nokia I get the second problem:
My usb jack in the n800 is defective. My guess is that it was not soldered on properly as it broke after about 2 months of usage. it is floating now and has pushed it's self into the case. It happened inserting a usb cable. I did not use excessive force with the cable just put it in and was shocked when it pushed the jack back instead! also it appears the case of the jack is touching something on the inside that makes the n800 think there are headphones in.

I called nokia and they said that because it is physical damage it is not covered. But i think it is a manufacture defect and should be.

Any suggestions on how i should proceed? tiger has only a 30 day return policy so im out of luck there

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I would say .... just send it and hope for the best. My experience with nokia is that they do it for free most of the times. If they charge you..... you can always refuse and youll lose only the shipping charges. But knowing nokia.... i think they will do it for free.

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Jchord, here in Europe Nokia would fix something like that totally for free, I've never had any problems with them or any other manufacturer. If I DID have any problems with them, I'd threaten to report them to the local trading standards people.

I don't know what it's called in Canada, but try telling Nokia that if they don't fix your tablet's physical defects you'll report them to whatever your trading standards agency is.

If they sent you a tablet with a microphone that was broken when you got it, it's their statutory (ie legal) duty to replace it or repair it for free, it doesn't matter what their own warranty or guarantee says.

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Sounds like maybe a case of a phone support person being stupid or misinformed maybe? Perhaps they misunderstoodzthe nature of the problem? Certainly doesn't sound right in any case.

At worst, you may need to escalate things. Just remember to stay polite and reasonable. Getting them on your side and not turning them into enemies is a very important part of the phone support process.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
My 770 has been in for repair five times now. The display has been replaced or re-soldered three times and the headphone jack twice. So far everything has been covered by the warranty.

However, they haven't replaced the cover of the device, which has a nasty crack between all the connectors at the bottom (http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=2210). As the connectors can now move a bit, I bet the solders are going to break easily.

Also, there has always been a long line for repair services at Nokia's Flagship Store here in Helsinki. Every time I've visited there (hand in and hand out = 10 times) the waiting time has been about an hour. This doesn't give a good image of Nokia product and service quality.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Tragos View Post
Also, there has always been a long line for repair services at Nokia's Flagship Store here in Helsinki. Every time I've visited there (hand in and hand out = 10 times) the waiting time has been about an hour. This doesn't give a good image of Nokia product and service quality.
Pff . . . an hour is a bad impression? You've obviously never been to an Apple Genius Bar. I bet that hour wait didn't even require an appointment.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Tragos View Post
However, they haven't replaced the cover of the device, which has a nasty crack between all the connectors at the bottom (http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=2210). As the connectors can now move a bit, I bet the solders are going to break easily.
The crack was a known defect corrected in later devices, caused by interference. It is unlikely that it will result in broken solder joints-- those are normally tough enough to withstand a reasonable amount of stress.

That also applies to the usb connector on the N800s. That said, defects do occur. When I was overseeing final quality on N800s the field-failure rate (those units escaping the factory) was maybe 1%. I doubt it's over 3% at this point. Cold comfort to anyone who receives a defective device, I realize.

Damage to small device microphones *tends* to be caused by device drops from a significant height (say a meter or so). A not uncommon damage-related issue and perhaps the reason for the experience mentioned in the previous post. The N800 owner should be persistent; odds are he will get it repaired free.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Canada
Well I got my N800 back today and unfortunately they did not repair it. It appears that systemax redistributed some the N800's it has in stock for tigerdirect.com to tigerdirect.ca as it appears my N800 is a USA model. So any suggestions on how i can get it repaired? I do have a USA postal box however the USA repair center will not ship to it. I am going to try talking to tiger again but I doubt I will have luck.

Edit: Good luck, I was told that tigerdirect will refund me upon return of the N800 and I will be able to buy it again! Yet for some reason they could not before?

Edit2: Well I misunderstood the guy. I had to pay $50 for a service plan to get it replaced. But that is better than not getting it fixed.

Last edited by jchord; 2008-05-16 at 23:46.

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Eugene, OR, USA
I don't understand why Nokia asks for tyhe N800 serial number during the fklash to OS2008 process.

I flashed a second N800 using the same first "WLAN" number, but am wondering if the error I get with attempted flashing of a third N800 ("cannot find the device") is related.

Any insights?

??? wrong thread jwire ???