Active Topics

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
But-- all you'll ever need is 64 meg of ram!!!

Sorry, bad joke.
thought it was 640k of memory, there billy
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
Well since the n8x0 can do Android, then the more phones >>> more interest >>> more apps. There is already a full Office suit announced (by a commercial company, so with a price tag) and there are an stupid amount of applications ready even when no phone officialy supports it. So it can only make the tablets more interesting.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by brendan View Post
thought it was 640k of memory, there billy
Inflation.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Canada
it could be the best smart phone in the market, just because 64M is believed enough by those guys who are smart.
with the help of others and my effort to google internet, I solved some confusions. this is my experience.

Go download the pdf of the android programs. Very very cool. I'm an old t-mobile guy and I'll be on the pre-order list.

http://tmonews.com/2008/08/the-htc-dream-will-have-gps/

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
T-Mobile delivers a **** service here compared to KPN and Vodafone. Not even 100% GSM coverage (KPN and Vodafone do provide this) and bad 3G coverage (compared to KPN and Vodafone). iPhone users are tied to T-Mobile... but that is Apple. What is this new trend of devices being tied to one mobile operator? Geez.

SSH will probably be ported to Android if the device has some momentum. Else, tethering is useful (which the iPhone cannot provide).

Although I'll probably buy a N96 anyway.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
They already have 2 or 3 phones (Samsung t819, and one or two of the Nokias) that use their UMTS frequencies, and they've already rolled out their 3G service in some markets.
Yes, but none of these is an iPhone-, Nokia N95-like do-everything-smartphone. T-Mobile needs a flagship 3G phone if it is to convince its customers to upgrade (and potentially lure new customers).

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
T-Mobile delivers a **** service here compared to KPN and Vodafone. Not even 100% GSM coverage (KPN and Vodafone do provide this) and bad 3G coverage (compared to KPN and Vodafone). iPhone users are tied to T-Mobile... but that is Apple. What is this new trend of devices being tied to one mobile operator? Geez.

SSH will probably be ported to Android if the device has some momentum. Else, tethering is useful (which the iPhone cannot provide).

Although I'll probably buy a N96 anyway.
This is T-Mobile USA, which is most definitely NOT any of the T-Mobile European divisions. T-Mobile USA cannot sell the iPhone and has only rolled out 3G to two US cities. Again, that's why they need this phone; they need a 3G flagship smartphone that can compete with the iPhone. That's also why they've apparently been pushing ahead with this phone despite Google's protests that Android still needs more work: this phone is tailor-made by HTC to work on T-Mobile USA's 1700MHz 3G network. Neither the iPhone (which AT&T has an exclusive lock on in the States) nor the Nokia N95 nor any other smartphone connects to that frequency range. Shame for Nokia, really; with T-Mobile in a bind and the N95 having no real market presence in the States, Nokia producing a N95-5 for T-Mobile might have helped out both companies.

I'd be buying an N95-5 N95-? capable of operating on UMTS band IV instead of some cheap BT tethering phone, if they had one.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-08-26 at 22:46.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Traecer View Post
This is T-Mobile USA, which is most definitely NOT any of the T-Mobile European divisions. T-Mobile USA cannot sell the iPhone and has only rolled out 3G to two US cities. Again, that's why they need this phone; they need a 3G flagship smartphone that can compete with the iPhone. That's also why they've apparently been pushing ahead with this phone despite Google's protests that Android still needs more work: this phone is tailor-made by HTC to work on T-Mobile USA's 1700MHz 3G network. Neither the iPhone (which AT&T has an exclusive lock on in the States) nor the Nokia N95 nor any other smartphone connects to that frequency range. Shame for Nokia, really; with T-Mobile in a bind and the N95 having no real market presence in the States, Nokia producing a N95-5 for T-Mobile might have helped out both companies.
N95-5 exists, its a slightly different N95 marketed for China.

N96 is due next month and will support dual-band HSDPA (900 MHz and 2100 MHz). Maybe your country (or T-Mobile) needs to get their standards straight. With only 2 cities having rolled out 3G thats pretty sad coverage, but still chance for a change.

Is there any information about Android being released in Europe?