Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by jnack95 View Post
(which requires significant power from the non-soft-off)
For firing off an alarm, no it doesn't, actually, since the system isn't actually booted.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
For firing off an alarm, no it doesn't, actually, since the system isn't actually booted.

No, it isn't just firing off an alarm (from a ram-suspended state or other). It is turning itself on, from the power OFF state (the one that is safe to take out the battery from), running all of the initscripts, opening the clock or alarm function, and playing a wav. file. Again from the power OFF state. Even, the newbie website has a whole page that states that it saves more power to leave the tablet on than turn it off. All I want to know is if this feature previously existed, or if a phantom is present in my machine?

http://www.tabletscene.com/2008/08/0...g-as-possible/

Posts: 142 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ London
Back on the thread subject, I experienced a definite shortening of battery life with the original Diablo upgrade. The latest update has lengthened the battery life a great deal, from memory I'd say it is better now than under Chinook.

The whole machine feels snappier too. It's good to know that issues aired here are acted on.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by jnack95 View Post
No, it isn't just firing off an alarm (from a ram-suspended state or other). It is turning itself on, from the power OFF state (the one that is safe to take out the battery from), running all of the initscripts, opening the clock or alarm function, and playing a wav. file. Again from the power OFF state. Even, the newbie website has a whole page that states that it saves more power to leave the tablet on than turn it off. All I want to know is if this feature previously existed, or if a phantom is present in my machine?
You really don't actually understand what's going on, do you?

Anyway, search around, the feature has been explained in-depth before. Like I said, it's one of those neat things about ARM that you can come out of OFF very quickly to do small things like firing off alarms and then go back down just as quickly.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
You really don't actually understand what's going on, do you?

Anyway, search around, the feature has been explained in-depth before. Like I said, it's one of those neat things about ARM that you can come out of OFF very quickly to do small things like firing off alarms and then go back down just as quickly.
Well, in case of OMAP2 we are not using dynamic power switching, even if it would be supported. Reason being that it's not worth. So yes, it is really off and it has to boot. In fact after showing the alarm it asks the user if it should stay on or go back to off. We also perform a check on battery level when booting, to verify if it's worth to try to boot or not.

After the alarm has been shown, i found out that the notification was left forever on the screen with back light on. It killed my battery one day that was a bank holiday and i was just too lazy to leave the bed for acking the wakeup alarm.

So i had our alarm guys to fix this behavior.

Hope this helps, but I am not sure I have really understood the original question.

Last edited by igor; 2008-08-15 at 19:47. Reason: typos

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to igor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by igor View Post
Well, in case of OMAP2 we are not using dynamic power switching, even if it would be supported. Reason being that it's not worth. So yes, it is really off and it has to boot. In fact after showing the alarm it asks the user if it should stay on or go back to off. We also perform a check on battery level when booting, to verify if it's worth to try to boot or not.

After the alarm has been shown, i found out that the notification was left forever on the screen with back light on. It killed my battery one day that was a bank holiday and i was just too lazy to leave the bed for acking the wakeup alarm.

So i had our alarm guys to fix this behavior.

Hope this helps, but I am not sure I have really understood the original question.
Thanks for the explanation Igor. That clarifies things (for me). Sorry to have misdirected this thread.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I think it's starting again:

While in general the battery lasts longer now after tha last update, there are rare situations when the device shuts down overnight although fully charged.

It's always the same:
  1. I charge the N800 in the afternoon and remove the charger only when the tablet says I should because it's fully charged. (I never shwitch it off for charging, though, I leave it on, incl. WLAN, and just plug in the charger.)
  2. The N800 rests on a table for the rest of the afternoon, online, but not doing anything but checking mails every 30min and updating RSS-feeds. Because I don't use it during this period, the screen is dark.
  3. In the evening, I have a last quick look at the mails and then switch the device to offline mode to save battery. The battery status indicator shows a full battery at this time (not suprising) and I put the tablet back on the table where I'll have breakfast next morning. I would expect it to survive the few hours of sleep I get, and it normally does.
  4. In the morning, when I want to return to normal mode, I see it's off; I can switch it on then, but if I don't plug in the charger very quickly then, it powers down immediately again because the battery's really empty.

The bad thing about it is that this doesn't occur regularly. There are days when the device happily greets me in the morning although the battery was almost empty in the evening. I simply can't tell what triggers it (which annoys me even more than the fact that it's low on battery again).

It would be cool if some of those good-looking, cool guys in here could write a script that writes time, top 3 tasks in terms of CPU-usage, battery status and maybe other useful information to a file every x seconds... Sure this would drain the battery even more, but maybe it helps finding out whats going on?

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hi. I own a N800/Diablo/4.2008.30-2 and now I'm experiencing exactly the same. Any help on this? anybody?

Same problem - unpredictable battery life and/or indication; sometimes it drains over night regardless of state while other times it shows roughly the same battery life in the AM as previous PM. Also, battery indicator not very reliable - it can show mostly full with many hours of use remaining but after a reset due to some system crash show virtually no battery life left at all.

Sounds like something's getting in a loop and pegging the CPU, thus draining the battery.

Tags
battery drain, diablo