Notices

Graham, a feature request:

Would it be possible to have the alarm switched off if it is sounding and the dismiss button is pressed?

If one hits dismiss instead of acknowledge when an alarm pops up, the alarm continues to sound and it takes several clicks to get back to the alarm to switch it off.

Thanks.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by dfinch View Post
Graham, a feature request:

Would it be possible to have the alarm switched off if it is sounding and the dismiss button is pressed?

If one hits dismiss instead of acknowledge when an alarm pops up, the alarm continues to sound and it takes several clicks to get back to the alarm to switch it off.

Thanks.
yep, that dismiss button is badly labled imo. i hit it, thinking that the alarm would shut up and go away. maybe it should be labeled ignore or something?

that, or allow me to set something a bit more discreet as an alarm sound. the current one sounds like i just broke into pentagon over the wifi or something...

I presumed that since this is a port, the actual words could not be changed but if it is possible how about these:

Alarm OFF (Instead of acknowledge)
Close Window (Instead of dismiss)

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
those could work, as for port or not, i would guess that a similar issue shows up when using the app along with the rest of the gpe pack.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
The calendar runs OK, but it seems that it doesn't save it's settings. After each reboot it starts with the sidebar although I've deselected it from the view menu. It also asks if I want to iconize or shut down the program after pressing the X in the right upper corner although I've checked the box to remember my answer.

Using the calendar still takes patience. It takes 2-3 seconds to open any single day view and 5-15 seconds for a month view. This makes it impossible to quickly browse through the calendar.

It's a very nice improvement on the recurrence tab, having to first select the recurrence type before making other changes

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post
Using GPE Calendar:
When going fulls-screen there is sometimes screen distortion. You can remove this by going backwards / forwards in the month or year, but I'm hoping it would be a fairly simple fix.
Bug 231.

Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post
Using GPE Todo:
The auto-refresh time of 1 minute is quite nice, but I've found if I'm doing anything with the database during that time I get a "database is locked" error message.
I was clearing out lots of previously completed / abandoned items the other day, and fortunately the whole process was a complete success, but it took approx 2.5 minutes, so I kept getting the error message. Any chance of GPE Summary checking whether the database is in use before trying to lock it for itself?
Bug 232.

Originally Posted by dfinch
Actually I would go further: I am thinking that the alarm should stop sounding if the screen or any of the buttons are pressed while it is sounding.

Entered as bug 233.

Originally Posted by dfinch
I presumed that since this is a port, the actual words could not be changed but if it is possible how about these:

Alarm OFF (Instead of acknowledge)
Close Window (Instead of dismiss)
I like Close Window but not Alarm Off (as it does not just turn it off, it acknowledges the alarm). In any case, entered as bug 234.

Originally Posted by Naranek
The calendar runs OK, but it seems that it doesn't save it's settings. After each reboot it starts with the sidebar although I've deselected it from the view menu. It also asks if I want to iconize or shut down the program after pressing the X in the right upper corner although I've checked the box to remember my answer.
Hmm. It does sound like it is not saving its settings. I haven't heard this problem before.

The settings are saved in a file called ~/.gpe-calendar. Can you see if that file exists? If it exists, please try deleting it (rm ~/.gpe-calendar), start gpe-calendar again, and exit. See if the file has been created and, if so, take a look at its contents (cat ~/.gpe-calendar).

If the problem persists, we need to work out whether the file is not being created at all, whether its contents are wrong or whether it is being ignored on the next startup.

Originally Posted by Naranek
Using the calendar still takes patience. It takes 2-3 seconds to open any single day view and 5-15 seconds for a month view. This makes it impossible to quickly browse through the calendar.
Do you know roughly how many calendar entries you have? If not, you can get an approximate idea by installing gpesyncd and typing:

echo uidlist vevent | gpesyncd | wc -l

There are already some bugs suggesting performance improvements but it would be useful to know how many events are causing your slowdown.

Graham

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham Cobb For This Useful Post:
Graham, could you help with my problem, no alarms at all?
I tried to strace it but not sure what process to trace (checked hildon-desktop process), no luck...

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
MirteX, can you please explain in more detail what problem you are seeing?

Originally Posted by MirteX View Post
I tested alarms with gpe cal opened - works like a charm.
I assumed this meant it was now working for you. What is not working?

Graham

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Graham Cobb View Post
Bug 231.
The settings are saved in a file called ~/.gpe-calendar. Can you see if that file exists? If it exists, please try deleting it (rm ~/.gpe-calendar), start gpe-calendar again, and exit. See if the file has been created and, if so, take a look at its contents (cat ~/.gpe-calendar).
I deleted the file, booted and now things seem to work OK. Thanks for help!

Do you know roughly how many calendar entries you have? If not, you can get an approximate idea by installing gpesyncd and typing:

echo uidlist vevent | gpesyncd | wc -l
I have 3673 events.

Graham, they do work if gpe-cal is open. No alarms, though, with gpesummary applet. That's the problem.

Tags
gpe