Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ok, sure. And like a stuck clock, he's right for only one second...

Look guys, dont be angry with me jusy because you love a device that is simply a NICHE and I come along proposing ways to make it a mass market device with a broader appeal.

Sure you are linux zeolots, I am also. I use linux along with Oracle to make a very good living everyday. However I do not want to tinker with linux it at home while browsing the web or making a cellphone call or giving one to my kids to stay in touch.

I want a device for this purpose to have a UI layer where in affect I have no idea its linux, symbian, WinMobile.

Anyway, the writing is on the wall already. N8XX is going to change to a cellphone or it will die. You'll be able to keep your existing N8XXsince no one is going to come around and make you hand it over. However like my old Apple Newton, the N8XX will be frozen in time insofar as support and new apps go.

Sorry. And dont shoot the messenger.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
I want a device for this purpose to have a UI layer where in affect I have no idea its linux, symbian, WinMobile.
Effect.

Also, the tablets are that device. Use a tablet for its intended purpose--web browsing, email, RSS--and you need never know what lurks beneath the UI. The ability to access the underpinnings is a bonus to those who want to do so and in no way interferes with the activities of those who don't.

sjgadsby, I agree. I mis-spoke. It is cool to have it as a bonus.

UNfortunately, it seems that the people that want it as a bonus, me excluded, do not want it as a cellphone also.

THat device has a limted appeal and I would not buy it. Thats why I want Nokia to change the N8XX to have cellphone capability, hopefully the same linux based UI and OS, and hopefully also, the ability to access the OS and compile new stuff, etc.

But cellphone first.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
sjgadsby, I agree. I mis-spoke. It is cool to have it as a bonus.

UNfortunately, it seems that the people that want it as a bonus, me excluded, do not want it as a cellphone also.

THat device has a limted appeal and I would not buy it. Thats why I want Nokia to change the N8XX to have cellphone capability, hopefully the same linux based UI and OS, and hopefully also, the ability to access the OS and compile new stuff, etc.

But cellphone first.
Then it wouldn't be a tablet.. it'd be a cell phone. :P A tablet is for people who want a computer first (REAL web browsing--not the comparatively limited browsing experience of iPhones and N95, PC-like experience of being able to have flexibility and a layer underneath to tinker with and be able to use programs written by the community, etc.).

If they make a cell phone MODULE to add to it--GREAT! But first, I want it to be what I bought this one for.. a pocket sized tablet PC.

I'm unconvinced by your arguments that it should HAVE to have a cell phone nor does it make any sense to convince anyone that the tablet is a device without a market. I'm particularly unconvinced given the inability of vendors to keep them in stock for very long.

Last word indeed. :P

The tablet is more like the netbooks or small computers (EEE PC) then it is a cell phone.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
But cellphone first.
Has anyone been credited with an "electronic device" + "cellular capability" version of Zawinski's Law yet? It seems to be the way of the times.

Those who do not understand Unix...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
However like my old Apple Newton, the N8XX will be frozen in time insofar as support and new apps go.
And just when I thought you couldn't be more wrong...

Dude, put down the bong. The Newton was mostly an island; the tablets are wireless network nodes. And they run a full suite of python out of the box. SHHHHHHHH.

Dont Shhhhhhhish me dude.

Sorry. Mis-spoke regarding the N8XX being an island insofar as new apps.

There will be new apps however Nokia will not update the hardware and thus, eventhough new linux apps will be compilable on the frozen N8XX, there will not be newer NXXXX's with higher rez screens, more RAM, etc.

Tags
troll