Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I'm not sure how to resolve your issues. I have the same "broken" package icon after installation (which even tells me that the install failed). My app updates also tell me that Rapier needs to be updated, but that always fails too. But, I'm still able to run Rapier.

-T.

Hi there.

The only way i manage to have it working on my diablo tablet was to perform all installations with dpkg.

If you use the "lets add the chinook repo too" and use apt-get, you will, as you have noticed, end up with a version of clucene that sword will not work with (i rebuilded a more recent version of clucene core and pushed in in diablo extras before realising i was stuck there and not able to push sword in the extras repository).

What should work would be, once you reach this stage, to uninstall clucene core by hands with apt-get or dpkg, download version from the chinook repository and install this one with dpkg.

Please, vote for the following bug to raise attention on this issue:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3416

A workaround could be to put the package on yet another repository, but i would like to avoid this as much as possible.

Good luck ;-)

Dear timsamoff and pamadio,

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately given my very basic linux knowledge i was not able to solve the problem but I have decided to live with the problem.....at least the bibles etc are accessible. For more involved bible study when i need to do search I will go to the PC.

The linux community is great, so much generous sharing. But much of it is beyond my understanding to benefit....but I was able to create a dual boot after 3 days of repeated attempts!

Best Regards
Lawrence

Dear pamadio,

When i try to use apt-get to remove clucene, rapier will also get uninstalled. i use "apt-get remove clucene-core".

Also when i try to install the correct clucene version as a stand alone i get incompatible package error.

I am able to run rapier except I unable to execute the indexing feature.

Thanks
Best Regards
Lawrence

Hi there.

Try the following:

Donwload package individually from the garage page:

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=200

You will need:

clucene-core_0.9.16a-2_armel.deb
sword_1.5.10-3_armel.deb
python-sword_1.5.10-1_armel.deb
rapier_1.0.4-0_all.deb

Install each of them in the above order with dpkg:

dpkg -i /path/to/the/package/to/be/installed.deb

Dont worry about the "much of it is beyond my understanding" feeling, it's absolutely normal, and actually, it keeps growing as you learn.

The more you learn Linux ( I guess any other operating system too), the more you realize there are topics to study you were not previously aware of. But at the end of the day, your are improving your skills anyway :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pamadio For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by walts View Post
Redshift mentioned that he had successfully gotten an NIV to working Rapier. The lack of this version, used in my church and my personal preference, has kept me chained to the Pocket PC.

Redshift, did I read your post correctly, that you found a way to use Laridian bibles in Rapier?

Hi Walts,

I used this guide from crosswire.org, you'll need to reference it to follow my guide:

http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/index....vTools:Modules

You will need to do a few things to create an NIV or any other custom module:

1) get the full text of the Bible in your desired translation as a raw text file (use Google, or write a script to download from Biblegateway and parse out the raw text)
2) convert that file into the verse-per-line (VPL) format (I wrote my own and compiled using MinGW on Windows)
3) convert your vpl file into a sword module using vpl2mod.exe, downloadable from crosswire.org
4) create a .conf file for your module using the module-making guide's instructions

Sorry, I am not able to email the modules. Apparently there is some legal distinction between downloading the content for personal offline use and distributing modules to others, so yeah.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, Redshift.

What a shame that God's Word has to be so entangled in legal issues. I personally "own", i.e. paid for, 2 electronic (Laridian) copies and at least two print copies of the NIV; yet I am prevented from using it on what has become my current reader of choice, the Nokia N800. Even by man's laws, I believe I have the right to use that content in any way that I like, so long as I don't sell it or give it away.

The stumbling block is obtaining the raw text. Bible Gateway has installed some routines that prevent anything beyond casual browsing; it appears to be a timer or maybe a page limit, based maybe on the IP address, or possibly on some other factor used to identify the computer doing the download. In any event after about 10 chapters you start to get a message saying that your computer is exhibiting "unusual behavior", and refusing to display any more text. A day later you can get another 10 chapters.

This weekend I will look for other sources. I know I have an old copy of The Online Bible for the PC, I just don't remember if it had the NIV or not. In the meantime, the ACV that is available from Sword is OK.

I love a challenge like this. The irony is, IMHO, that for every geek like me that would spend many hours trying to adapt something, there are probably 99 others who would gladly buy it. If it were available I would gladly pay for an N800 version of Laridian, but I guess the market is too small.

Even a plain text version would be welcome. You could then import it into the reader of your choice. Zondervan, are you listening? How many people would really steal a Bible anyway????

Walt

Dear Pamadio,

Your instructions worked like magic!

Modules indexing now....N800 is pretty additive.

Thanks
Best Regards
Lawrence

Walts,

That's exactly how a lot of people feel, myself included.

I was surprised to find out the professors of my seminary have largely switched from NASB to ESV, which is freely available for the Sword Project. I'd still like to have the translations I'm used to seeing though.

I don't know if all of the online Bibles have timers like Biblegateway does, perhaps try with another one? There used to be a script available that circumvented the timer but the author has since pulled it due to abuse by end users distributing modules rather than the original script. It's certainly doable, I just don't have time at the moment =)

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Southampton, UK
Hi All

I have some scripts which will download and convert biblegateway bibles into sword modules. If interested let me know and I'll e-mail them to you. The person who hosted them has stopped hosting them so I can't upload to a centralised location.

Let me know if interested and I can e-mail to you. Will require you to have a linux machine - I guess Nxx devices would do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterjb31 For This Useful Post: