Posts: 25 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ California
A much better camera (still and video) would be great in the next version. Something like the N95 camera or better. I would happily pay for that. My N800 is always in my pocket but my camera is usually at home.

Here goes:

- Upgraded cpu, memory and storage. Usually that will happen on new devices anyways.

- VGA out or TV- out. Just for running presentations or connect to an external display if needed.

- Two models: tablet and clamshell. Something like the "classic" and "fold" in Nokias mobile phones (6600 fold/slide)

- "page up/page down" buttons. I know Microsoft got a patent on that now But I'm missing hardware keys to scroll in the browser.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think that the sim was not only the most popular suggestion, it was also the most unpopular suggestion.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
It seems the best idea so far is the one hoping for a sim card.
There were lots of good ideas however this one seems to be the best and most desired.
No, that's IMO the worst idea by far. It simply doesn't make an atom of sense to me to do that, and I haven't seen a single good argument for it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Heres a good argument for it: making phone calls.

(watch him tell me I can already use Skpe and ignore I cannot use Skype outside of wifi range)

It's too big and clumsy to be a nice phone. If you make it smaller and more phone-shaped it'll make a bad Internet Tablet. Most people have already got a phone already (at least one - the workplace may force another on you). When I look for a phone I look for a small nice phone. When I look for an Internet Tablet I look for the biggest screen size that I can still shove into my jacket pocket. Bad phone.

The reason most people ask for a sim card in the NIT is to use 3G. Except for the problem with US providers and anti-tether,lock-in contracts (which wouldn't make life easy for sim-NIT owners either, mind), those people tend to forget that the Way To Do It is to use your Bluetooth phone and tether the NIT. Then keep replacing the phone when better tech comes out, instead of replacing the NIT. I've gone through 3 phones in the period I've owned my N800, moving from GPRS to 3G and now to Turbo 3G along the way. Without having to replace my N800, and not having to buy yet _another_ carrier contract.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2008-09-08 at 14:39.

Why on earth would anyone want a sim card slot for 3G however not for making a phone call also ?

To me, they both go hand in hand. Thanks for reminding me that when I advocate phone call capability that I need to tell people that its for general 3G purposes also.

You would assume anyone would know that but you just proved to me that there are apparently folks out there that would like a sim card slot just for 3G and then another sim card for their cell phone.

Convergence takes care of that type of stuff where youre carrying around a camera, a cell phone, a video recorder, a garmin gps, etc., etc., etc.

THe N9XX needs a sim card slot and a better camera. Those are the missing pieces it needs to really take off and move away from its current limited, "niche device" status.

Arcturus: I also wished for a hardware scrolling key on my n810, and if you want one badly enough, there is something that you can try.

As for everyone else, this is my first post in this mega-thread, and I've finally decided to throw in my 2 cents about the upcoming N900. I am in favor of some sort of cellular internet connection capability built into the tablet. I know that it's possible to carry a phone as well, but that hurts the portability of the device. I want to carry my wallet in one pocket and my n900 in another, and still have the capability to access the internet virtually anywhere. I've never owned a cell-phone and have no plans to pick one up in the future, but if the n900 did have some kind of data connection, that might actually be enough to get me to sign up with a carrier. I don't care too much about super-fast downloads, just as long as I can get online.

I would also like the n900 to have the ability to provoke enormous discussion threads discussing its features... oh, wait, it already has that

The Following User Says Thank You to nobodysbusiness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
bah, get yourself some proper geek/cargo pants

http://scottevest.com/v3_store/subin...s_shorts.shtml

Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Arcturus: I also wished for a hardware scrolling key on my n810, and if you want one badly enough, there is something that you can try.

As for everyone else, this is my first post in this mega-thread, and I've finally decided to throw in my 2 cents about the upcoming N900. I am in favor of some sort of cellular internet connection capability built into the tablet. I know that it's possible to carry a phone as well, but that hurts the portability of the device. I want to carry my wallet in one pocket and my n900 in another, and still have the capability to access the internet virtually anywhere. I've never owned a cell-phone and have no plans to pick one up in the future, but if the n900 did have some kind of data connection, that might actually be enough to get me to sign up with a carrier. I don't care too much about super-fast downloads, just as long as I can get online.
If you don't have a phone, and don't need high speeds, you might try Boost prepaid, $20 every three months gets you all-you-can-eat (or all-you-can-suck-through-a-tiny-19.2kbps-straw) data. The phones aren't the tiniest in the world, so maybe they won't fit in your wallet, but if you use it only as a BT modem, you can use a belt holster, lanyard, or whatever.

And you're much less likely to find deals like that when you're constrained to a particular technology, and probably particular bands, as well.

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist