Active Topics

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
A pmp without a2dp is pretty much not cutting edge. And add to it absencse of fm radio, full bluetooth and no expandable memory...... may be your definition of bleeding edge is a little different ....
Perhaps I mispoke
What I meant was that while there are better features on other devices, it is the iPod that defines what is "required" so to speak

They drive demand, and that demand lowers parts cost (see multitouch screens for a perfect example)

I have yet to see them completely introduce an idea, but very rarely does anyone

All i meant by bleeding edge was that they are the bleeding edge to the mainstream, my paretns still dont know the differance between an mp3 player and an ipod, as does alot of the worlds older population

ipods drive the bottom line, or raise the bar depending on which way you look at it

but in retrospect my phrasing was really poor

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
what worries me is not that the older part of the population have this issue, but that apparently, the younger one have it...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Yeah, not having those features has been such a drag on iPod sales and the development of a robust developer community.

People want solutions, just because we can do amazing things on the Nokia's doesn't mean that I would recommend them to anyone.
May be the ipod is such a big hit despite its inadequacies in the US and maybe the Uk.... But in most developing nations....the most popular mp3 player is the nokia phones...

Just because apple is big in the US does not mean that it is the only thing used in the entire world.

This is a common mistake made by americans ..... they think whatever is popular in the US is popular in the entire world.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Morocco
Originally Posted by CleverJake View Post
a built-in speaker, ("casual listening, not for audiophiles" - jobs)
Not a big deal for people who have devices with built-in speakers already.

the big thing was for the nano, however
now comes with built in voice recorder
I guess that they decided to join the rest of the mp3 manufacturers with this "Johnny-come-late" feature.

shake-to-shuffle - shake the **** out of your nano and randomly shuffle to a new song
They stole this idea from Sansa. My daughter's Sansa Shaker does this exact same thing albeit without the accelerometer.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
nope, most people are not, but given the chance they want to appear as if they are.

sad to say, these days appearance counts as much as actually knowhow.

if you dress right and talk right, you can get in and out of places, and get things done that you have no real clue about...

i would say that for each artist using a apple device to make art, there are 5-10 wannabes that just hang around all day with a apple device to make it look like they are artists.
Heh. Reminds me of an Apple fan I know. You're probably right.

but then maybe its the same for the tablets? that for each geek that actually (ab)use it, there are 5-10 people that own one so that they can appear knowledgeable in the ways of computers?
No way; for one thing, how come there are so few sold, then? I mean, wannabe geeks has to be a huge market; who doesn't want to be a geek?!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
This is a common mistake made by americans ..... they think whatever is popular in the US is popular in the entire world.
the worst part is when the press elsewhere thinks americans are right...

like how the iphone was the best thing since sliced bread, when symbian phones had been doing what both the iphone and iphone 3G up to 5 years before.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
A bunch of cables? No, that'd be more like A2DP, AVRCP, and a power jack. Of course, that would involve open standards, and make the iPod-compatible cars also be compatible with the competition. The way Apple's doing it leaves customers with an inferior product, but as long as their marketing keeps people buying it, they're better off that way.
You're thinking like a geek (I say that with profound respect, of course ) Think like an end user. Unless you have wireless power happening somehow, you have to plug it in anyway, so which is better; plugging it in to a dock and getting all that other stuff (plus more) or sticking to your "technically superior" guns and having to do the bluetooth pairing dance, a non-integrated power cable, and some velcro so you can stick it to your dash?

Besides, doesn't the dock also output video? So it can display your playlists and cover art in the dash, if so equipped. My, for an inferior product, it's pretty awesome.

Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
The iPod interface isn't just line out though... it's a control interface and charging as well. You can likely control your tunes with the buttons on the steering wheel. The consistent docking interface is a real masterstroke, IMHO. They learned from Palm's massive mistakes.

My point is, don't think you'll get the same experience with a bunch of cables and a 12v lighter plug.
I know. That's why I've been looking at bluetooth solutions for remote controlling. There's alot you can do with scripting.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
You're thinking like a geek (I say that with profound respect, of course ) Think like an end user. Unless you have wireless power happening somehow, you have to plug it in anyway, so which is better; plugging it in to a dock and getting all that other stuff (plus more) or sticking to your "technically superior" guns and having to do the bluetooth pairing dance, a non-integrated power cable, and some velcro so you can stick it to your dash?

Besides, doesn't the dock also output video? So it can display your playlists and cover art in the dash, if so equipped. My, for an inferior product, it's pretty awesome.
As for playlist display, that's covered in AVRCP; for general video output, though, you've a technical point. My use cases generally involve being in the car less than an hour, with power available at both ends; you don't necessarily have to jack in for power, and with AVRCP, you don't need dash velcro; you could leave it in your pocket, throw it in the console, etc.

But you've got a point with the pairing issue; crazy how something you just do once can be a source of so much frustration to people, but it is. (And it's not entirely fair to suppose that Apple could have made it just work, without sacrificing compliance.)

in my opinion the thing that apple got right- was itunes. very easy to import your cd's and seemless adding to the ipod. very very easy to buy tunes and import... americans are stupid - how many vcr's still blink 12:00? steve jobs figured that out and easied up the process and is making boatloads of money because of that.

-----
linux did not make inroads into the general population until ubuntu made it easy to use.
-----

the NIT wont get "popular" until it is as easy as ubuntu/ipod----in my opinion.