Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
I wonder if iTunes will come up with a way to sync over wifi - even to a non-iPod. That would (literally) rock.
not likely, as it acts as a valueadder for both the ipods and itunes they (almost) only interact with each other.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
Well, when I consider why I bought an n800 it was:

web browsing
instant messaging
voip

Many of the other things it can do are added value to me (I do like having a mini-computer with me to run my own software on).

However, with the iTouch now having mic and etc. it now can do what I wanted in my n800 and if I were choosing today between the two the new (not previous) iTouch would win out.
iPod Touch ( Official Firmware )

1) Web browsing: Prone to loss of JS data entered into the page if you navigate to another part of the OS
2) No IM client if you are not running the IM client ( you go offline as soon as you do anything else )
3) VoIP.... still no VoIP client and even if there was you could not receive a call on the go if you were not running the VoIP client.

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AstroGuy View Post
I'm not much of a video gamer, so the new touch just makes me yawn.
For me, it's the built in keyboard that makes the N810 so useful. I don't see the touch ever having one, so I'll never pay for one.
That describes my reaction almost perfectly. The iPod touch doesn't have any SD card slots (micro or otherwise); therefore, I can't use it to work with photos from my camera, therefore it's useless to me. I'm never going to claim that the iPhone/iPod touch aren't slick, slick devices that do lots of cool things. But they don't yet do the things *I* want to do...so why would I buy it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Traecer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
iPod Touch ( Official Firmware )

1) Web browsing: Prone to loss of JS data entered into the page if you navigate to another part of the OS
2) No IM client if you are not running the IM client ( you go offline as soon as you do anything else )
3) VoIP.... still no VoIP client and even if there was you could not receive a call on the go if you were not running the VoIP client.
I think once Apple enables push notifications the IM won't be a problem (well as much) anymore.

I thought there were VOIP clients? Well I guess worse comes to worse you could always jailbreak it.

The utility of mobile devices is inversely proportional to how stable and how long things take to work.
True. I guess the key phrase is how long it takes things work (which would also imply how you want it to work). I'm not saying iTunes doesn't work. For what it does as a media player, it works pretty well (if not perfect for most people). Though whenever I've experimented with it, I never liked it. And the computers I ran it on were by no means sluggish. (Dual Core CPUs, 2+ GBs of RAM). It just doesn't work for me :P (if that makes any sense).

@BoxOfSnoo

Yeah, that would never happen sadly. iTunes works because Apple has control from the software to the hardware (iPods and what not).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
May be the ipod is such a big hit despite its inadequacies in the US and maybe the Uk.... But in most developing nations....the most popular mp3 player is the nokia phones...

Just because apple is big in the US does not mean that it is the only thing used in the entire world.

This is a common mistake made by americans ..... they think whatever is popular in the US is popular in the entire world.

Very true that it isnt as popular in alot of countries, but if you look at hte ratio of people with pmps (ipods, cells, or otherwise) to people whose pmps are ipods, its alot closer than any other compeditor

alot of countries dont use the ipod as much
but there are not nearly as many people in those countries with them as in the US, UK and other "first" worlds

omfg!!!this new iPod has all the things i've wanted.!!!

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
The iPod Touch has the hardware for bluetooth, but unfortunately not the software. It's probably being used to support the Nike+ integration.

If you pair it with a phone and a GPS receiver I would get it.

The iPod Touch has the hardware for bluetooth, but unfortunately not the software. It's probably being used to support the Nike+ integration.

If you pair it with a phone and a GPS receiver I would get it.
me too! (has it been jailbroken to allow phone pairing yet?- i did a google search last nite and could not find a thing about it) i am a gadget geek and my birthday is coming up- need i say more

Originally Posted by prk60091 View Post
me too! (has it been jailbroken to allow phone pairing yet?- i did a google search last nite and could not find a thing about it) i am a gadget geek and my birthday is coming up- need i say more
No pairing... the low lever drivers are not there. The chip itself *can* do it but there are no drivers or BT stack yet. I doubt something that big would get released before we see iPod Touch v3.

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
so your saying that the new touch model has bluetooth hidden under its shell? link please...