IT OS would be nice on them. They have ARM Cortex processors.

Last edited by kotzkind; 2008-08-20 at 13:41.

I do not really see any real improvement(other than the new physical packaging and plug-in options) over my existing Archos 605 which was hackable at one point. Archos are nice as a PMP.

I got my N800 after Archos decided to release a new 605 firmware to close out the 'hole'.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Los Angeles, CA
Being a previous Archos 605 wifi 80gb owner I will say it is a great little movie player and all around media unit (pictures, songs, etc). It boasted about being able to browse the net with full support for youtube and other flash related sites but from my experience the internet support on the device was complete rubbish. Constant lock ups with the browser plug-in, terrible signal strength even when RIGHT next to the access point, shotty support for youtube videos (it only had flash 8)...all led me to get rid of the Archos. I downloaded movies and played them on the Archos and it really did shine there. Not considering the terrible audio output levels (could NOT hear it on an airplane with wrap-around-ear headphones), it really was an awesome movie player with fantastic capacity.

But after owning an N810 for about 4/5 months now, Nokia/Maemo are significantly better. I'll admit I haven't watched a ton of movies on the device (Im cheap and haven't bought a mem card...I know I should be shot for such defiance but Im buying a house now....I have other worries) but the internet browsing is flawless. Right out of the box it "just worked" with all of the sites I frequented. This plus the bluetooth capability which now works perfect with my Nokia phone over 3G, the GPS (although I dont use it much its nice to have in a pinch and it works just fine for me), and the extreme expandability all make it a worth while investment. Yeah its a little more pricey but its definitely worth all the features.

The Following User Says Thank You to tekk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kotzkind View Post
IT OS would be nice on them. They have ARM Cortex processors.
Any idea on what the processor speed is?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by crabolsky View Post
Speedometer for the processor is an optional, for-pay extra.

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Speedometer for the processor is an optional, for-pay extra.
hehe true...be wary of their pricey additions.

But Iam curious what will be driving them?

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Canada
if Archos, as well as Apple, want to make money by selling software, they should sell their hardware at low price.
with the help of others and my effort to google internet, I solved some confusions. this is my experience.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Originally Posted by crabolsky View Post
Linux Devices' guess is....

"Archos calls the new devices the world's first Cortex-based products. Although processor specs are not listed, the PMPs are likely based on the Texas Instruments OMAP35xx line of system-on-chips (SoCs), which are in turn built around ARM's powerful Cortex-A8 core. Considering the video focus, the devices probably use one of the two high-end OMAP35xx models that offer video acceleration: the OMAP3530, which also includes an OpenGL ES 2.0 accelerator, or the OMAP3525, which does not. Both SoCs are clocked at 600MHz and started shipping in late July."

The Following User Says Thank You to iamNarada For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
if Archos, as well as Apple, want to make money by selling software, they should sell their hardware at low price.
Apple's main business, just like Archos and Nokia is selling hardware.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Seattle
Well, The archos sells its codecs so they cant lower the unit cost
atelast thats what they say

I had a archos 605 for a bit and loved it, but it bricked
twice
two units
in two weeks
so i gave up on it and bought a nit instead

but theyre really neat
and anything that my mother can use without confusion is something that is deisgned intuitvly