Active Topics

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Mexico
yes, I deleted Xulrunner, and recovered most of the space, but you don't always recover all the space when uninstalling apps, back when on OS2007 I removed canola and didn't remove the cover albums from the internal memory before I uninstalled, and I had to hunt down the covers and delete them manually.

I tried apt-get remove -- purge, apt-get autoremove, and apt-get clean, recovered almost 3MB free

On the desktop there is 'deborphan' to remove orphaned packages. Digging through the forum I found this command: that deletes leftover config files:
Code:
dpkg --purge $(dpkg --list | grep ^rc | awk '{ print $2; }')
This constructs a list of packages which are removed but still have their configuration files installed (denoted by the ^rc pattern) and passes this list to the package management utility to purge all obsolete files. (source)
I haven't tried this myself so I have no idea if this works well. You can see what would be uninstalled with:
Code:
dpkg --list | grep ^rc | awk '{ print $2; }'
so you can delete them manually using dpkg --purge name-of-the-package

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-09-13 at 19:45.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamthewalrus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Puerto Rico
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
On the desktop there is 'deborphan' to remove orphaned packages. Digging through the forum I found this command: that deletes leftover config files:
Code:
dpkg --purge $(dpkg --list | grep ^rc | awk '{ print $2; }')

I haven't tried this myself so I have no idea if this works well. You can see what would be uninstalled with:
Code:
dpkg --list | grep ^rc | awk '{ print $2; }'
so you can delete them manually using dpkg --purge name-of-the-package
Thanks i free 23.7MB of space. when i got my NIT i start intalling app like crazy and unistall almost all of those app and i realize that i dint have space i was looking for something like this thnaks a lot