Active Topics

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Haha, now you'll me able to use Maemo Mapper on only the NIT without having to worry you're driving to a place you've never been before!

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
What's not a standard about it? In my understanding, nothing in the standard prevents having a USB-OTG device capable of sourcing 150 mA, although sourcing more than 100mA does require holding the voltage tighter (+/- 5% out to the maximum current, just like a normal USB host).
Sorry, but I believe HS(D)PA module requires more than 150 mA. See one of my previous posts about that here (around page 9 or 10). If you believe different, I'd like to see it outlined.

If you could connect a USB 3G phone to a BlueTooth device which are both powered then this is your modem, you can use it together with your phone/laptop/tablet/fridge/magnetron/whatever.

The advantage is that this device is does essentially nothing, small, and dedicated. You're using the BlueTooth standard; no wires like with USB. The disadvantage is that BlueTooth cryptograpghy (according to an article recently at schneier.com I referred to on the wishlist N900 thread) is essentially vulnerable. For _this_ specific purpose that is a problem. To get data from your GPS to your NIT, much less if not none. Another disadvantage is that you worry about another device (weight/space/battery/point_of_failure).

I say: forget this and make the NIT better than a phone! Screw LiMo, screw Symbian. I envision being able to have the NIT the device I use normally, and if I really need big work, I take my laptop. Ofcourse that comes with a price, but thats TANSTAAFL, and if we really lack something software wise we might have to put bounties up. Heck, maybe we could put bounties up in Bugzilla? I mean, I'd have paid 50 EUR to anyone who fixed N810 GPS. Why not? Now I had to pay a dedicated one for 30 EUR.

As for your N8x0. Lets say Maemo 5 won't support the N8x0 anymore. HE is then an option. eBay perhaps. You could even give it to your neighbor's son for his birthday. Give it your nephew. Make a dedicated device of it (e.g. navigation system) and give it to your sister. Give it to a poor kid who's parents can't afford it, he might be a Linux developer in 20 years partly due to your gift. I'd give mine to a German friend of mine who lives in poverty. He usually gets my old hardware, and I know he appreciates it. A lot.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
My hats off to Texrat because a few months ago he said in a post that he and others from nokia regularly pass our concerns up to the mothership(not direct quote)
I'm very pleased with the faster processor, graphics acceleration and hd camera(I prefer the swivel N800 camera setup). I'm really happy with cellular capabilities. I want as many choices as possible on my mobile office/entertainment/info center. Texrat post 122 I'm in because that would keep device small and yet give device many new features.
qgil I'm really hopeful qt starts giving us some great apps for the Nxx. I've been using qt apps on my N800 through Easy debian and I love their speed and ease of use.
If I may be so bold as to suggest from a user point of view that Nokia look at the way Qole implemented the Easy Debian setup. I love the fact that I can use any Debian app within Hildon and Vice versa. I increased the swap file to 1gb and and upgraded to class 6 sdhc cards and did PB's Easy Dual boot. This setup took a lot of load off the small processor and it allows me to keep up to 8 apps running at same time. I like the Canola app but not the setup. it should be implemented like Qole's Easy Debian.
As a user/tinkerer/modder I love the way N800 allows me to customize the N800 to my needs. Please think about the following suggestions as far as sw development. The UI should allow for more user modding and personalization. Ex. I would like to create a see - through app menu so I can see my background through the main app menu. I would love to expand the menu at the top right of the screen so I can place more icons there. This is very helpful when I'm in an app and I want to know the time/weather/battery status, etc... Next I would love to be able to put just one icon on left side that I can customize to my liking or move it to any part of the screen for that matter. i would love to have background that move alla matrix or radar screen, etc...(small 50k or less that loop).
Another important area in sw that Nokia needs to develop is voice recognition. I enjoy in Debian and KDE having flite read my emails and just about any webpage or text I tell it to. The Hildon flite is bad. Also MPD should be fully developed because media player and Canola choke on large audio/video play lists. Flite works good with Maemo Mapper and my little GPS keychain.
Screen rotation and dual booting needs to be a standard feature in next big OS upgrade. It really gives the Nxx a lot of flexibility and power.
With the new processor I would love to be able to partition for XP and Mac OS. I'm in business and my clients give me business apps in those platforms not linux or Maemo. I really feel that Nokia should put effort in helping make the device have remote capabilities. there are several projects to IR/Tilt, etc... I would also like to see the ability to have the camera used as a remote recorder/viewer. Nokia really needs to get Skype to fix the camera function on Nxx. Also porting over Mythtv. or tivo would be great.
I hope the N900 has 2 sdhc slots or I will have to pass. For business I have to carry large audio/video files. Also 1gb ram would help the little monster. An extra usb port would be knockout and real gps and a2dp support. Oled screen would be a dream.
I did not mean for this post to be so long but I'm really excited as a user. Thanks for all the great work you two have done and the rest of the Maemo/Nokia teams. Keep it up.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
I guess the one word that would summarize my post is uncertainty. At this point, as a developer, community member, and user I am more uncertain about the future of Maemo.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I guess the one word that would summarize my post is uncertainty. At this point, as a developer, community member, and user I am more uncertain about the future of Maemo.
The future IS uncertain!

You're not the only person having these feelings IMO its normal right before a big change, while you don't know details about change.

On 4 november 2008 you'll feel uncertain about the future of USA as well.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by honzik View Post
I sure would like to see A2DP bluetooth profile support in the future. Any mention of that?
According to the dev session this morning, yes.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Sorry, but I believe HS(D)PA module requires more than 150 mA. See one of my previous posts about that here (around page 9 or 10). If you believe different, I'd like to see it outlined.
Yes; I was not saying it would work, merely that the charge of non-standardness seemed wrong.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Traecer View Post
My immediate concern about the info in this presentation is the timeline for release. It doesn't sound like Maemo 5/Fremantle exists in any useful form yet, and if there are any real prototypes, they're too early to reflect the final devices' functionality. This means it most likely will be 1yr+ before the new device is released, and (esp. w/the added cellular capabilities) at least 6mo after that before it can be sold in the US. Palm may actually get its Linux-based OS out the door before this thing ships!
I call BS. My bet's on Q1 2009.

will there be two sdhc slots?
1qt 2009 would put it just in time for 64gb sdhc cards.

Last edited by dan; 2008-09-18 at 10:38.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
<diversion>
"On 4 november 2008 you'll feel uncertain about the future of USA as well"

Actually, has anyone seen the newspapers for the last few days? I feel uncertain about the future of the USA now.

</diversion>

No need to worry.

They powered up a big donut (LHC) here last week and we survived.

So cheer Up

Zuber

Tags
job, n900