Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Any suggestion for a dumb box with wheels for teenagers?
Just keep the teenagers out of a tincan. They'll most likely be getting in an accident, and a Smart car is the last thing you want them in.

I recommend a used Toyota Corolla or older Camry, myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Great responses guys.

As far as the GPS on the n810 goes, I could take it or leave it. This is merely a way for me to rationalize spending any $$ on toys! I would just buy this over the n800 because of the ability to buy one new.

I actually like the WiBrain stuff. But price-wise, I am kind of wondering if I'll get my bang for buck out of it, seeing as I have an EEE sitting right here.

The n8**'s just seem to still offer the form/function thing correctly. The AIGO does too, but I think that is priced out of my target as well.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
What did you buy? Any suggestion for a dumb box with wheels for teenagers? Any idea for Smart fortwo, http://www.smartusa.com/smart-car-fortwo.aspx. I like almost everything about the cabriolet, except evaluation said the ride is rough. That is something I do not enjoy. Any comments? Anybody? Why fortwo? Ask yourself, since when anybody ride with you? I have 1 passenger sitting in my car maybe once a year.

bun
Having just dropped a kid off at college, it was time to turn in the Infiniti G35x w/ all it's bells and whistles and get something a little more practical wallet-wise.

I actually picked up a 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport (the newer body style). I always wanted a Jeep Cherokee (the old ones), and this is pretty damn close to those style-wise.

It has zero bells and whistles though beyond the Sirius Radio and AUX plug on the front of the head unit.

It's a great and solid vehicle, and when you add up the difference in car payment (I even BOUGHT this one vs. LEASE), MY insurance, and being able to call my daughter a non-driver since she's on campus, I saved a $hitload monthly.

So, I guess if someone came up to me a few months ago and said, "I'll pay you $350 a month to drive a Liberty instead of this fat G.", I'd have said yes .

Last edited by maxinflixion; 2008-09-08 at 13:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to maxinflixion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Faster, lighter, more agile. MTK is much, much lower power usage and somewhat better at getting and holding a lock. A high-quality MTK-based GPS like the i-Blue 737 goes for $50 here in the States.
Thanks for the info.

I'm already satisfied with getting and holding a lock with my Sirf III device, and I do like the 6 hours battery life I have with my Sirf III device. I'm not sure your MTK is worth twice the price of my Sirf III only for a(n unclear,) better battery life.

Bottom line, the Sirf III is a popular, relatively cheap chipset, and many people are happily using it. In contrast to say Nokia's N810 GPS chipset.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
I'm already satisfied with getting and holding a lock with my Sirf III device, and I do like the 6 hours battery life I have with my Sirf III device. I'm not sure your MTK is worth twice the price of my Sirf III only for a(n unclear,) better battery life.
I get 24 hours solid use out of my i-Blue 737. It'll sleep for weeks left on and not doing anything.

I was recently in a similar situation with my 770. I needed to get a new cell phone plan anyway, and started looking into combining the two devices. I wasn't especially enthusiastic about the 770, but it was a good deal, and it worked well enough when I needed it to.

I was able to get on sprint's $30 a month sero plan which included 500 minutes + unlimited evdo data (cheaper than my old cell plan without any data!) so I ended up with an HTC mogul, and was pleasantly surprised with its ability to combine all the devices I had. Sure, the screen on the nokia is much better, but the mogul is smaller and easier to carry around. the slide out keyboard that is very handy too. The GPS locks in about 5 seconds, and is very useful with google maps when I need to check traffic, or survey the area.

the htc user base is also pretty good, and I am currently running a custom modified ROM that improves performance and is lighter than the stock sprint rom.

I also have a mio c310 PNA, that uses the sirf III chip iirc. it also locks in about 5 seconds and has always worked very well - especially after unlocking it and installing some extra features and skins. I was actually able to install the exact same navigation software on the mogul, and it works flawlessly. So I am going to sell the mio as well (already sold the 770).

Having one device instead of 3 is pretty nice. though if I feel that I need something more substantial for web browsing (which I can tether to the mogul), I may look into nokia's next generation IT or a mini notebook of some sort. but for now, the mogul is a pretty good all-in-one device.

Last edited by mike-y; 2008-09-17 at 18:08.

Ok, so I ended up getting a SOLID deal on used n800 AND Holux GPSlim 236.

They arrived. Paired instantly.

Now I just need someone who is a Maemo Mapper whiz to donate a few minutes to help me. Any takers?

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by maxinflixion View Post
Ok, so I ended up getting a SOLID deal on used n800 AND Holux GPSlim 236.

They arrived. Paired instantly.

Now I just need someone who is a Maemo Mapper whiz to donate a few minutes to help me. Any takers?
Go to the Apps forum and bring 'er on, all questions will be answered, maybe not correctly though
Oh, and check out CarMan also.
PLEASE use the Wiki

When you have Maemo Mapper installed there's a very good built-in internal Help function. I know everyone normally ignores Help buttons (it becomes kind of invisible..) due to the usually limited help, but the Maemo Mapper help button is unusual in that it's _useful_. Very much so.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Thanks. I'll check out the help before posting. RTFM