Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Symbian has capability-based security
So does Linux.. unless Symbian means something very different by the term.

(Linux can quite easily be set up so that even with access to the root account you can't do anything whatsoever.)

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Yes, Linux has capability-based security modules, but they're hardly ever used, and I'm not aware of any embedded device running Linux which does use it. Symbian, on the other hand, uses it by default.

My reference to those applications was about proprietary / 3rd party applications for NIT, not EeePC. And theres many more. For example, I forgot LogMeIn and Hamachi.

EeePC is a competitor for both laptops and NIT, but different form factor. It doesn't have a touchscreen either.

Originally Posted by brontide View Post
As long as the n9x0 is "not a phone" you will still need a shiny 3g+ device in one pocket anyways, you might as well tether. This will provide you with all the access you need and be future proofed ( especially if Nokia used it's weight on the N series phones to make tethering easier * hint hint * ).
No, you won't; if I had data connectivity on my N800, and elected to have a phone as well (not sure I would), it would probably be a watchphone, which typically aren't 3g+; the need for 2.75/3g goes away. I don't know that my outlook is typical, and I'm sure Nokia's plan wasn't to triple the market for Korean watchphones, but some people will go with cheap or no phones.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
No, you won't; if I had data connectivity on my N800, and elected to have a phone as well (not sure I would), it would probably be a watchphone, which typically aren't 3g+; the need for 2.75/3g goes away. I don't know that my outlook is typical, and I'm sure Nokia's plan wasn't to triple the market for Korean watchphones, but some people will go with cheap or no phones.
And you're saving costs then because you won't need an expensive smartphone. Although between the open source phones (with or without 3G) there will be some nice choices available by the time 'N900' sees light.

I'm possibly slow but.. I didn't get the reference to a smartphone.. why would a smartphone be necessary for anything? (surely not for just getting 3G/HSDPA/BT.)

Because currently usually smartphones are used for 3G connectivity with laptops and nettops on the rise for usage with 3G connectivity. If your NIT provides you [the] features a smartphone nowadays provides you (think also about e.g. PIM) then you won't need a smartphone anymore. This saves you cost on otherwise buying a smartphone, giving your purchase of NIT ('900') more value. At worst, VoIP doesn't work well, and you'd need a (simple) phone to phone with. Because you won't need 3G for it (NIT already has it) nor many other smartphone features (NIT already has it), this would potentially be a mere cheap investment, again, giving value to your NIT purache.

Yeah, but there are also dumbphones (e.g. my Nokia 3555, which is S40) with 3G. What you'd really use it for, besides tethering, is beyond me. The display is horribly low-res, the browser is horribly pathetic, and it reminds me why so many dupes think the iPhone invented the practical mobile web. (I've only tried the built-in browser, as I've been unable to get Opera mini working on it so far, but haven't tried hard.) The whole point of it, to me, was a modem.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
To prevent screen cracks put something hard before the screen.
Nokia used to provide this with the 770 .... Then they decided typical tablet users never leave their homes with the tablets, so its no use protecting the screen.

Because currently usually smartphones are used for 3G connectivity with laptops and nettops on the rise for usage with 3G connectivity. If your NIT provides you [the] features a smartphone nowadays provides you (think also about e.g. PIM) then you won't need a smartphone anymore. This saves you cost on otherwise buying a smartphone, giving your purchase of NIT ('900') more value. At worst, VoIP doesn't work well, and you'd need a (simple) phone to phone with. Because you won't need 3G for it (NIT already has it) nor many other smartphone features (NIT already has it), this would potentially be a mere cheap investment, again, giving value to your NIT purache.
The only point about smartphones is the "smart" part, i.e. PIM (i.e. some PDA capabilities). 3G is completely decoupled from that. My last couple of work phones have been 3G phones (working excellently with my N800 via BT), and they're cheap phones. I've checked a lot of phones in ads lately (due to colossal amounts of spam-on-paper in my mailbox.. and the morning newspaper's been absent) and it looks like almost every cheap phone (non-smart) out there has 3G or 3.5G these days.

Ah well, if you want a really cheap phone only to phone (and maybe SMS) with, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Openmoko won't have 3G until at least GTA04 (so not next version but the one after the next version).

But if you're like me and seriously considered a device with 3G, PIM, DAP, GPS, DVB-H (ie. something like a N8x, N9x, iPhone, ...) then once you got your 'N900' you won't need this anymore because the only thing phones do better than the NIT is using cellular network to phone (not over IP) because the NIT cannot do this. One could also use their old phone merely for normal phone calls. This assumes VoIP on 'N900' isn't sufficient, and negates Jerome's argument somewhat.

The advantage is that everything is integrated in one device (except for normal phoning over cellular network). It does create a bigger single point of failure. For sure I'd buy a backup battery, hands down.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Nokia used to provide this with the 770 .... Then they decided typical tablet users never leave their homes with the tablets, so its no use protecting the screen.
Hmm, I meant while on the go, I put the NIT in my moneybelt, with the normal protection map provided with it, and put my passport there as well on the side where the screen is. Passport is made of plastic; not a strong metal like iron (although aluminium would be light its usage is questionable?), but it works pretty well for me.

EDIT: Government forces me to always show my passport when a government official asks for it so I always carry my passport with me except when I'm acting like a animal rights activist .

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2008-09-24 at 16:31.

Tags
job, n900