Active Topics

Hi all, I'm not very experienced with Linux so I don't know if this new script (application?) will work in the 770.

It needs 'wine' and it allows a Linux installation to run IE6. It even installs Flash 9 for IE.

I'm sure someone with more experience than me could answer or even test this.

If it works, maybe other plugins could work as well, like the streaming quicktime that I so much desire.

waddayall think

Originally Posted by Paulo
Hi all, I'm not very experienced with Linux so I don't know if this new script (application?) will work in the 770.

It needs 'wine' and it allows a Linux installation to run IE6. It even installs Flash 9 for IE.

I'm sure someone with more experience than me could answer or even test this.

If it works, maybe other plugins could work as well, like the streaming quicktime that I so much desire.

waddayall think
With out trying it, I don't think it would work. First we would need a wine port for ARM, then we would have to install ie, and other things to get it to work. I'm not saying it would be impossible, I just don't think it would be a good idea.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
i think the 770 would be crawling to a stand still if you tried to load all that on there just to get flash 9 running. I think the only way is to prod Nokia to update their browser.

I didn't know there was no "wine" already working with arm. That makes it quite a bit more difficult.

And yes, I can see the speed problem, but if that was all there was in the way, it would still be a good gamble.

But without wine I can't even try.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Surely the point of WINE is to run x86 Windows code on an x86 Linux OS? If you were to run a Windows app under WINE on say, an ARM device, you would need not only WINE but also an x86 to ARM emulator/translator.

In order to get Flash 9 to run on the 770, you'd either need to find a version built for ARM (not available until Adobe get their act together) or run an x86 build of Flash 9 on the 770, possibly using WINE but definately with an x86 to ARM emu. Neither of which exist, and even if they did the app would be so slow you'd think the device had crashed.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London
Wine is not an emulator. It will never work on non-x86 devices.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Indiana
My consensus from this http://www.adobe.com/products/flashlite/ is that until they (Macromedia/Adobe) upgrade the underlying technology for all lite versions, we won't see any improvement hitting the 770. Typically smaller in any industry comes at a price in both time/energy and cost. Think of the market- why put the latest version into every mobile device licensed for it only to find there are bugs and holes in it? This wouldn't make for good vendor relationships, hence they pump out a stable, tweaked, and proven version.

When Flash 9 hits the desktop en masse, maybe we'll see compatibility for Flash 8 on smaller/mobile devices such as the 770. Sadly that may be awhile, but we can always hope...

~Dave

am I wrong or am I wrong, but there were attempts to run wine on arm:
http://www.kerneltraffic.org/wine/wn20050729_285.html#5

and wine runs on sparc and ppc so it's not impossible to run wine on other processor than x86.

and qemu has testing support form arm, so it should be possible to run x86 wine on arm with qemu user emulator...

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/status.html

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
No no no no no.

Originally Posted by perverztata View Post
and qemu has testing support form arm, so it should be possible to run x86 wine on arm with qemu user emulator...
wine runs on sparc and PPC via qemu, it's true, but I don't know anything about it's performance. Remember though, that we're talking about a few hundred MHz processor on the Nokias, vs several GHz on a desktop - plus faster buses, etc. I have a gut feeling that it would just crawl even if you did get it compiled.

I'd agree with zerojay though "no no no no no"! There's something sick and wrong about the whole thing!

P.S. I don't know if qemu has been compiled for the Nokias or not. I couldn't find a copy to test some things I wanted to try, and haven't had time to try to compile it myself. If you know where a package is, please post a link!