Poll: Are you getting a Pandora console?
Poll Options
Are you getting a Pandora console?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Might I perhaps interest you in a working, mint-condition Compaq Portable III sewing-machine (with full-size ISA card extension)...
Ah, the memories...I used one at work (actually a compaq 386) and the isa expansion hosted a TI9995 processor card we needed to develop for (the compaq was used just for the keyboard/disk/screen, all the development environment was running on the TI9995).
We were thrilled that with the compaq we could do a whole compile-link-burn to eprom cycle in just 15 minutes (with the previous system, a TI portable computer that was called portable only because it had an handle, that took a whole working day).
TI used to make some amazing processors.....and it still does

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Hey, OT is what I do best! Here's my server / router housing:

This is an old picture; I've replaced the old monitor with a 19" CRT that looks almost the same. The button / joystick console swings down and inside I have a keyboard, mouse, and some actual joysticks that I plan to rig up to the old controls at some point in the future...
Wow... Dude, that's about twice my *total* allowed volume for antiques at home ! :-)

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
The screen is bigger than the N8X0's. It is, in fact, the same screen that is used for the Archos 605.
And it's bigger than my phone also
Like the original EEE pc before they upgraded the LCD, they have plenty of room for expansion.
But it looks like it could hold a 5" plus screen instead of a 4.3
PLEASE use the Wiki

Originally Posted by luca View Post
Ah, the memories...I used one at work (actually a compaq 386) and the isa expansion hosted a TI9995 processor card we needed to develop for (the compaq was used just for the keyboard/disk/screen, all the development environment was running on the TI9995).
...and I had a Toshiba T5200 (which also had a full-size ISA slot) with a huge 1200 baud modem card inside, which I took home and used to connect to local BBSes, which were my first online life :-)

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
How about the option, 'Will buy as soon as I can afford one!'?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
How about the option, 'Will buy as soon as I can afford one!'?
In the wealthy Western world, "I can't afford it," is similar to the excuse, "I don't have time for that."

They both mean, "That does not have a high enough priority for me to spend money / time on it."

Perhaps, more precisely, there is a priority / cost ratio, where the needed priority drops as the cost drops. So perhaps you could say, "that thing is too expensive for its perceived usefulness."

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
And it's bigger than my phone also
Like the original EEE pc before they upgraded the LCD, they have plenty of room for expansion.
But it looks like it could hold a 5" plus screen instead of a 4.3
No it doesn't: Speakers are on both sides of the screen.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
No it doesn't: Speakers are on both sides of the screen.
Yeah, also like the original EeePC.

Seriously, I'm guessing that it's like the EeePC in a lot of ways, for example, using a smaller screen than the maximum possible to reduce cost. Maybe also preserving the option of expanding it later, for a higher-priced model (or also possibly an upgrade kit)? Leaving room for hardware hacks... Although there's proportionately less space here, and the obvious one (BT) is already integrated.

Hardware hack options: Maybe a microSD reader, though, wired in parallel with one of the SDs. (Obviously you can't have a card in both at once, though.) Or a SIM reader. Or a couple of white LEDs pointed at the keyboard. Or an array of blue LEDs serving no purpose but making it blinding to use at night and draining batteries. The possibilities are endless...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Yeah, also like the original EeePC.

Seriously, I'm guessing that it's like the EeePC in a lot of ways, for example, using a smaller screen than the maximum possible to reduce cost. Maybe also preserving the option of expanding it later, for a higher-priced model (or also possibly an upgrade kit)? Leaving room for hardware hacks... Although there's proportionately less space here, and the obvious one (BT) is already integrated.

Hardware hack options: Maybe a microSD reader, though, wired in parallel with one of the SDs. (Obviously you can't have a card in both at once, though.) Or a SIM reader. Or a couple of white LEDs pointed at the keyboard. Or an array of blue LEDs serving no purpose but making it blinding to use at night and draining batteries. The possibilities are endless...
That particular screen was used because it fitted the budget and was the best in existence (for that size and at that moment). The speakers are there because, rather unlike the Eee, Pandora is a gaming handheld and sound seems to be important for "the kids".

Hardware hacks are not only possible (the board e.g. has intentional solder pads for exactly that purpose), but are actively encouraged. One of the interesting ones is a camera in the top lid (apparently there's room for it).

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
How about:

I wish I could buy it, but I already bugged my parents enough to let me buy a N810, and there is no way I can convince them I need a "gaming machine." Plus, with college coming up and all, I need a new phone (mine is one of those you buy in a box with prepaid minutes) and possibly a laptop. No gadgets for me for a LONG time.

Tags
pandora