Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Actually the answer is yes, with the adapter (as Rob noted).
Not having used one of those adapters, I don't know, but I assumed they'd be flexible enough to wrap the 180, making the ball-joint adapter unnecessary and (as it's longer than the original) even undesirable. Still, it does work, so you win. nevertheless.

As for the 770, http://tabletblog.com/2006/01/no-sol...st-method.html has an explanation on what's needed, and the comments discuss one hub that (by being built wrong) seems to work directly. I suspect a number of cheap hubs capable of being self- or bus-powered are this way; the +5V incoming on the USB is directly tied to the DC jack, rather than being diode-protected. If you can get a hub that works that way, one of these adapters, the hub, and an appropriate power supply (wall-wart or battery pack) should do it.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Not having used one of those adapters, I don't know, but I assumed they'd be flexible enough to wrap the 180, making the ball-joint adapter unnecessary and (as it's longer than the original) even undesirable. Still, it does work, so you win. nevertheless.
All depends on where you're trying to put your USB device; while the pivot adapter is slightly longer (about 1/2 -3/4", haven't measured it) flat out, it's shorter if you leave it doubled over. The Mini-Micro cable is long enough that if you were talking about a thumb drive you could probably connect it, bend the mini-micro cable back under the tablet and with the pivoting adapter connected have the thumb drive sit back behind the cable. Anyways, the point is that functionally it works, just as the old one did, but it doesn't do anything to reduce the cables required unfortunately. The ultimate solution (this type of adapter but with a Micro connector instead of the Mini) is possible (I looked into it first), but the problem as I've stated before is that the costs right now are far too high to justify it (unless somebody else in the community wants to plege to buy about 3000 of them!). I also cannot offer the old adapters anymore as I've made a signifcant investment in these new ones and I have neither the time or the money to go back to the hand-made ones. Yes, the new ones are more costly in comparison, but that's more because the price is in line with what the things actually cost whereas with the old ones I was selling them at the price of the materials, and donating my time and workmanship into modifying them (I didn't mind doing this, but after many months and many hundreds of connectors I'm done with that particular effort thanks). I also want to humbly remind everyone that just as with the old ones, the money you spend on these is helping me to invest in future tablet-related projects for the community...

Thanks,
-Rob

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've really enjoyed my old connector, I think it's just about time to upgrade. I have a swivel adapter already, I got it with one of my USB devices, and I can connect the old OTG adapter to the swivel to get the same effect... These, however, seem to be non-modded adapters and that's important, since my modded one sometimes takes some serious wiggling to work properly. This would also allow me to throw in the headset adapter, something I've wanted for a while, but was unwilling to pay shipping for. And hey, while I'm at it, maybe I should get the ethernet adapter too... Anyone got the N800 working as a wireless router / hotspot yet?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
jolouis: I'm going to place an order for all this stuff, and I'm getting one of each for my colleague too. Please reassure me that the headphone adapter is not subject to the same problems as the iPhone adapters some have suggested using. The plug doesn't need to be wiggled or adjusted to get it to work, right? It is 100% compatible with the Nokia plug?

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Hi Qole, Don't worry, the Speaky/Mikey headphone adapters work flawlessly on the tablets, no need for goofy spacers of half-in half-out or anything silly like that. We make them specifically for the tablets and test each one on my N800 here to be certain that they work as they should.

Thanks!

-Rob

Ha! A funny picture of my old N800 OTG adapter, hand-modded by jolouis, in action at OSiMworld. We got these free 2GB USB armband things and some free USB hubs from the moblin booth, and we sorta strung them all together to see what would happen. It worked at first, and I was able to copy files between two USB keys, but things kinda stopped working fairly quickly as extra devices were added.

(from timsamoff's flickr stream)

Here are two pics of the setup when it was actually working:

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-24 at 21:20.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I finally got around to ordering one. Yay! I'm traveling this Thanksgiving (U.S.), I just migrated my desktop to a 500GB drive, and I threw the old 80GB drive in an enclosure. It's a perfect storm, of the good sort.

Thanks, jolouis!

The new swivel adapters are very nice. They "just work" (no wiggling like I sometimes have to do with my old OTG adapter). I love the way I can tuck my peripherals away behind my tablet, or lay my ethernet adapter flat on the table. Thanks, jolouis!

Will your adapter enable me to use a mobile internet USB dongle (that connects to mobile phone networks) with my N800?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by plitty View Post
Will your adapter enable me to use a mobile internet USB dongle (that connects to mobile phone networks) with my N800?
The adapter only enables a hardware connection; the dongle will need a driver.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
360 adapter, n800 otg, swivel adapter, usb otg