Active Topics

One of the magazines I read had a link on the website to use Newsstand to download and read a portable full copy of the magazine. At first I thought this was going to be a PDF copy and was pretty excited that I'd be able to read using Evince on my N800...but closer reading seems that most magazines make you use some proprietary Windows only software...but they also have a browser based version called iBrowse that might work on Maemo. Anyone ever come across this and give it a try? I'm curious how well it would work with the screen resolution on the N800.

sounds interesting..

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Heard of Zinio? If you use that, I have a few hacks you can to to get magazines onto the N810.

Online Hack:

Zinio provides FREE (yes, 100% FREE) magazines to iPhone users. So, quickly switch the user agent string to iPhones, and BAM, magazines for free!

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=14259

Offline Hack

So, you bought a magazine. But, the shitty DRM crap has tied it down to your computer. Oh no, you cant move it to another computer, let alone the tablet!! BUT, can you print pages? If the answer is yes, then you are in luck.

Tools Needed:

Windows PC
Zinio Reader (Free)
Primo PDF (Free) [Other PDF print servers might work]

Automation Software:

My super custom Zinio-PDF tool

This is a GUI script for Windows that automates the Print - PDF process. Unlike a Word document, which prints ALL the pages at once, Zinio prints ONE page AT A TIME. This means you either have to click "save as" a million times, or automate it. I have done that for you!!

Source and Binary Included. Read the source file for instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Zinio-PDF.zip (242.4 KB, 127 views)

Sounds very cool. I'll check it out this week.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
"iBrowse off-line viewing requires that you install or upgrade your
Java Virtual Machine (JVM)."