Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Great work Qole - I have jumped in, too, and left for now my homebrew chroot. BTW there's now a very nice new version of matchbox-window-manager in the "hacking matchbox" thread, which presents modal windows in the centre of the screen, as it was before hacking.
Yeah, I just saw that, and was coming here to link it.

(I haven't actually tried it yet, but it sounds great.)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
BTW there's now a very nice new version of matchbox-window-manager in the "hacking matchbox" thread, which presents modal windows in the centre of the screen, as it was before hacking.
I'll have to consider this. I'm actually quite pleased with my nifty switcher script; it really seems to make it painless to switch modes.

I wonder how the dialogs that get super-huge with the current matchbox WM hack behave with Matan's version?

PS: posted with Iceweasel. It takes about 1 minute startup time to a usable web page.

Qole is correct about there not being that much room left in the image for adding more apps. I tried installing CUPS, after following Qole's instructions for freeing up space, but unfortunately still ran out of room when attempting to install cups. I ended up having to uninstall Easy Debian and then reformatting the partition on which the image was located, as deleting the image did not free up space in the partition and the image installer stopped working. There may have been a more elegant solution, but there's a lot I don't know.

Anyways, I reinstalled Easy D and I'm now re-downloading the image. The question is, do I need to remove a lot more from the image using Synaptics so there is sufficient room for cups, or would the apps recognize an installation of penguinbait's cups installation?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by HowHH View Post
I tried installing CUPS, after following Qole's instructions for freeing up space, but unfortunately still ran out of room when attempting to install cups.
If you insist on installing something as enormous as CUPS (which installs Samba and Avahi etc), or you have installed tons of apps, you can use another trick to get more install space. The Maemo application manager actually uses this trick too.

Start the chroot, and then, from a non-root, non Debian prompt, type the following:
Code:
mkdir -p /media/mmc1/apt-archives/partial
sudo mount -o bind /media/mmc1/apt-archives /debian/var/cache/apt/archives
This will make a cache directory on your MMC card (you can change mmc1 to mmc2 if you want) and then tells Debian to use that to store all of the downloaded packages.

I have tested this trick, and I was able to install CUPS on my stock image file (with 81MB left over). Remember, you need to redo this trick if you reboot the tablet or close the chroot.

Originally Posted by HowHH View Post
I ended up having to uninstall Easy Debian and then reformatting the partition on which the image was located, as deleting the image did not free up space in the partition and the image installer stopped working. There may have been a more elegant solution, but there's a lot I don't know.
Needing to reformat the partition is a bit shocking. I have no idea what went wrong there!

I think the "image installer stopped working" part is my fault; I used to have lots of files stored in the image installer directory, so I deleted it after a successful install. Now it's tiny, so I should disable the post-install deletion.

I had the same problem with my image not deleting. I found, after placing the card in a card reader, that there was a file with a weird extension the same size as the image. Unfortunately, I ended up seeing that after I deleted my partition using gparted.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
I used Your previous version without any problem but now that I installed this one it keeps asking me for a password that is not my tablet's user neither root password.

The "password problem" is actually a bug in the uninstall script of the previous version.

If you were using a previous version (0.6 or older), or you get this error, please do the following:

1. Uninstall all versions of Easy Debian
2. Reboot
3. Install the new version
4. Reboot
5. Try again to start the system
6. Report back; does this work?

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-13 at 21:50.

I will try the cache trick you describe. I take it that means the Debian apps won't recognize penguinbait's cups-experimental? The reason I ask, is that when I installed one of the other alpha Easy D versions (with CUPS), it looked as if that version found my pre-existing settings, and worked out of the box without any set-up. I no longer have peguinbait's cups installed though.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Needing to reformat the partition is a bit shocking. I have no idea what went wrong there!
I don't either. It appeared as if I was able to delete the image file with the native file manager, but the space it used was still taken up by something. When I popped the card into my Ubuntu box, it still showed that there were no files in the partition, but the partition was not empty. Re-formatting as FAT 32 took less than a minute, and did fix the problem.

And thank you, by the way for Easy D!

You could probably run penguinbait's CUPS server in maemo, and your Debian apps would print to it... but only if you installed the CUPS client stuff on the Debian side, and I'm not sure you'd end up saving much space, because I think it would still drag in all of the networking stuff...

Originally Posted by D'ohboy View Post
I had the same problem with my image not deleting. I found, after placing the card in a card reader, that there was a file with a weird extension the same size as the image. Unfortunately, I ended up seeing that after I deleted my partition using gparted.
This problem with unfreed space after delete probably stems from deleting a file while it is used (it is used until losetup or dmlosetup releases it).
The file remaining after reboot is probably the result of emulating this UNIX behaviour (file deleted but still in use) on a file system that does not support this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice