Active Topics

Notices

I asked my web host provider about it. Bad news:

The reason for this situation is that we block most of the IP ranges of Brazil due to the excessive abusive activity performed from these ranges against our hosting servers. This is a permanent block which will not be removed in the future.
I'll see if I can find a more forgiving host, or if I can go back to hosting it myself.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post

I'll see if I can find a more forgiving host, or if I can go back to hosting it myself.

This is unbelievable !!!!... unacceptable!

GNUITE, we will be waiting for a solution (if any!)

FRANCISCO, I live in SP if you have a way to send your e-mail to me, we can talk about it. I do not know anybody who has an N810.

Thanks febb, GNUITE, Francisco and all.

Last edited by Cprocida; 2008-10-14 at 13:38.

Haven't Downloaded or anything. Just wanted to say thanks for the product!

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
The reason for this situation is that we block most of the IP ranges of Brazil due to the excessive abusive activity performed from these ranges against our hosting servers. This is a permanent block which will not be removed in the future.
Any news regarding Mexico's IP addresses ? (Stupid question as It surely gets into the same vendor's criteria... but here it goes )

I have had a similar situation with hosting providers and Internet Services
Proviers which are totally against the Internet concept and philosophy itself !

A hosting provider that implements those practices (without you, as a customer first: being told or warned and second asking your approval or not) is totally unacceptable. If you wanted to make a business which, lets say, relies on specific access from certain customers and it turns they are "blocked", then you are screwed. I mean, why not close all stores and bank offices, after all they are constantly robbed everywhere.

The hosting provider should do their job and make sure they do it right. There are software (even lots of free/open source software), hardware and techniques that protect and safe their servers and infrastructure whenever there is something abnormal, but, at the same time guarantee the continuity of services on a previously agreed level of service (quality). This is also called "accountability" of their responsabilites and service.

Gnuite: Can I ask you which hosting provider is it ? (confidentially, if you wish as a PM. Your name won't be mentioned). Maybe, if we have some servers with them, probably we can help.

Well, I am glad the situation with access to gnuite.com access is finally known. Sad news.

I want to thank Gnuite for your great work and your assistance on this.
Also thanks go to Bluesubaru, Cprocida, Francisco and all who got interested and involved with this.

Now, lets not finish this here, lets work on:
  1. Pushing that hosting provider to make his job right.
  2. Find alternate ways to distribute the software and components (a mirrors
    network maybe.. ideas are welcome! Lets use the power of the Internet)
  3. Bittorrent could be an option. I don't know if it is viable to incorporate this
    into mapper itself or not...
  4. Of course, a distributed hosting by Geographic regions...after all, this is a
    GPS related topic/system.

Ideas, comments, suggestions? are all welcome. Thanks again.

Kind regards.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to febb For This Useful Post:
Okay, to anyone who had previously been having problems with accessing gnuite.com:

DNS changes are propogating as I speak, but gnuite.com should be transitioning to my home web server again. This should fix your problem, as I have relatively complete control over who gets blocked. Let me know if it does or does not work for you.

Hopefully, this is a short-term situation, but it will do for now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
I reported this earlier, but maybe it disappeared in between all the postings.. the OS2007 version reports '2.4.2' in the About page, even though 2.5 is installed (layers and all)

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Okay, to anyone who had previously been having problems with accessing gnuite.com:

DNS changes are propogating as I speak, but gnuite.com should be transitioning to my home web server again. This should fix your problem, as I have relatively complete control over who gets blocked. Let me know if it does or does not work for you.

Thanks Gnuite for the effort. Successful access of gnuite.com from Brazil.

GNUITE,

OK, Maemo-Mapper (2.5) back to work again after a long period in the darkness (São Paulo - Brazil)!

Downloaded maps repositorys, located addresses (search), start on the GPS and everything worked.

The problem has been resolved now, but it could happen again?

It is a great application! .. Thanks you for your efforts!

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I reported this earlier, but maybe it disappeared in between all the postings.. the OS2007 version reports '2.4.2' in the About page, even though 2.5 is installed (layers and all)
Yeah, that's just a bug in the help file rewriting code, I guess. (There isn't a variable or anything that the help file can use to dynamically display the version - a script rewrites the help file during the build phase.)

Don't worry about it - you're running v2.5.

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico

Gnuite:

Many thanks. Also, reporting successful access to gnuite.com from Mexico City.

Thanks for your effort in solving this issue.

Kind regards.

Tags
layers, maemo mapper