Active Topics

are there any "must have" apps for the n800 owner? I'm going to download anything I find remotely interesting (in this thread) for maemo in anticipation of my nit's arrival! thanks again everyone

also, I've heard members mention mytube in response to my question about streaming video, what's the difference between orb 2 and mytube? which is better? thanks

for me it's at least: canola, fbreader, gpe, skype, mplayer, gweled.
as for system tools: personal launcher.

i also like (and use) kandis, quicknote, vagalume and advanced backlight and statusbarclock as for tools.

I agree to the apps above. email and mCalender is the apps I cant live without. mCalender is getting realy good.

Originally Posted by hexagondun View Post
I'm going to download anything I find remotely interesting (in this thread) for maemo in anticipation of my nit's arrival!
It'll be much simpler to download on the tablet itself (through app manager) - Most of the applications have dependencies, so if you're just going and grabbing debs it'll be more work to find out what else is required to install the package once you've downloaded it.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Advanced-backlight
dialcentral
eggtimer
free42
gizmo5
homeip
Kagu
KMplayer
maemo-mapper
maemo-recorder
map
mplayer
mytube
personal-launch
wifiinfo
WorldTV99

The Following User Says Thank You to xxM5xx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hexagondun View Post
also, I've heard members mention mytube in response to my question about streaming video, what's the difference between orb 2 and mytube? which is better? thanks
Orb is a multimedia streaming program that runs on a Windows PC. It downloads the videos to the PC then streams them to the tablet. Orb is not limited to just Youtube videos or streaming to tablets. It streams video, audio, and photos.

Mytube runs on the tablet. It allows you to search Youtube for videos. It buffers and plays videos as it downloads and saves them to the tablet. I use Mytube all the time. The videos are a much better quality than watching them directly on Youtube and can be viewed offline if you save them to the tablet.
PC #1 - HP dv2000 Laptop - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #2 - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #3 - Ubuntu 8.04/Windoze XP dual boot
Nokia N800 internet tablet - OS2008 Diablo dual boot to SD - 4gb internal + 2gb external SD cards

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Please help hexagondun and all the users that will ask themselves the same question by pointing them to http://maemo.org/downloads/featured/OS2008/25/ and helping keeping https://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Remarkab...o_Applications in good shape. Thanks!

hi , this is a great threat to use as a platform for new comer , we can put direct install links to download application as many of the application missin g apllication manager like wise knots

use this opportunity ....

dave