Active Topics

Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Here are a bunch of answers in one post:

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Now I'm downloading or rather installing? the image again and it says it's checked for it, sees it, but it's downloadniing EASY Debian Image file anyway?

And it's been stuck on there, no buttons work, no touch screen interaction (besides turning on the screen when it darkens)...
It might be untarring / unzipping the file. This takes about 15 minutes, and it really hogs the CPU, so it will seem a bit like your tablet has frozen.

Originally Posted by tda8190 View Post
is possible explore shared files xvid on windows pc and open with vlc on easy debian?(i prefear open with maemo but i don't find a player that can open all video files like vlc)..i have install samba but don't find files on my home net...
Yes and no.

Yes, there are a few good SAMBA explorers in Debian. The best is Nautilus, from Gnome, but it is huge. Can anyone suggest something else?

No, you don't want to use VLC on the tablet. Use maemo mplayer instead. It plays everything that VLC can play, and it is the fastest video player on the tablet.

Originally Posted by thorbo View Post
I am having the issue where I only get the one-line keyboard (when in the Hildon environment)
Activate the Debian HW keys, then press the "+" key followed by the "-" key to change to the full keyboard from the one-line keyboard.

Originally Posted by thorbo View Post
when I run the xvkbd (in the debian image) the keys all seem to "stick", characters keep repeating and I can't really ever type anything.
Someone discovered that you have to go to the xvkbd menu (bottom left of keyboard), choose "Property", and set "Automatic Click" to "OFF".

Originally Posted by samir83CMOS View Post
hi there
I hope that you can help me with this, I tried to download the debian on my nokia n800 but when i click the green icon cilck to install it...a messege appear (unable to download easy-deb-chroot Application package not found)
Make sure you are running Diablo, the newest version of OS2008.

Originally Posted by mackaroni View Post
My problem:
cleaned the image to get 480mb for install Elisa Media Center
install without problems
but LXDE doesnt start (pointer is seen for short time...)
You might have accidentally uninstalled something important for LXDE, and broken it. 480MB is a lot of space to clear out; that's about half of the files! I'm sure there was something important in there that was removed.

You might try "apt-get install --reinstall lxde" to see if you can put back the missing pieces.

Originally Posted by samhogue View Post
I like LXDE so much I'm running it fulltime. Got lxlauncher to autostart with LXDE, now I want to set up LXDE to autostar when I turn on the tablet. I've searched the forums, but can't find clear info on autostarting apps in Hildon. I don't want to brick it with the wrong shell script, which I'm not real good with anyhow.
I'm trying to figure out how to get LXDE to replace Hildon entirely. The main problem is that I want to have a system tray with all of the Hildon icons in it (network, battery, presence, etc), and I'd like to be able to run Hildon apps in it. I can run the apps already, but I can't seem to load the Hildon apps into the system tray... still working on it...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
That sounds great qole! I don't even care about Hildon apps - I've pretty much uninstalled them all and replaced them with Debian equivalents, but the connections and battery stuff would be good. What about something like lxsensors and one of the lightweight connection managers from the linux world, instead of worrying about the Hildon panel at all?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by samhogue View Post
That sounds great qole! I don't even care about Hildon apps - I've pretty much uninstalled them all and replaced them with Debian equivalents, but the connections and battery stuff would be good. What about something like lxsensors and one of the lightweight connection managers from the linux world, instead of worrying about the Hildon panel at all?
I really like the infrastructure Nokia has put "under the hood" of maemo / hildon. I like the Connection Manager, I like the Bluetooth, I like the battery applet, the Status indicator, etc. I want to be able to shut down Hildon-Desktop, start up LXDE (or some other Debian desktop environment, like fvwm, kde, gnome, etc) then run something outside of the chroot which will start up all of the Hildon status panel applets (found in /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar) and put them into whatever standard system tray is active. I've seen it go the other way, where Debian apps put their icons in the Hildon status bar, so it seems like it should be possible...

So far, it looks like I'm going to be forced to start Hildon Desktop, but I just know that there's a better way...

Ok, I meant wmbattery. I was thinking lm-sensors, but that's not battery. Good news is that wmbattery works. It's docking in the top left corner and covering the menu icon on the panel, but I think that's configurable. If not, I can just move the panel. Now for network stuff.

Qole, quick question: is there any way to chose what size the img.ext2 for Debian is?

I had tried to resize it with resize2fs. The image actually enlarged to 1.7 GB. but Debian wouldn't recognize it and I ended up reinstalling it from scratch (which didn't take much time at all.) So, aside from setting the size initially, can I safely change it now?

Thanks a lot for any help and for this great system you've got going, I love it

I agree, qole, that Maemo's status and network stuff is great. I'm just wondering if we can't access them with standard linux tools. For instance, wmbattery does seem to handle the battery status fine. The network status applet in the LXDE panel works fine, but isn't a connection manager. Surely we can find some kind of connection manager that will access all the connections. Maemo seems to treat bluetooth connections as standard network connections(once they've been setup), so maybe they'd be seen that way by another connection manager?

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
Qole, quick question: is there any way to chose what size the img.ext2 for Debian is?

I had tried to resize it with resize2fs. The image actually enlarged to 1.7 GB. but Debian wouldn't recognize it and I ended up reinstalling it from scratch (which didn't take much time at all.) So, aside from setting the size initially, can I safely change it now?
A solution was posted in http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=202506

Extract: what you need:

- a computer with linux

- resize2fs on it

- optional: SD card reader + adapter to (micro/mini)sd depend of which of the 3 you use.

steps:

1. Either connect your IT to your pc or get the card out (caution: do not take it out if in use, safest way to make sure: power off your IT) and put it in the card reader.

2. go in the terminal or if in X launch a terminal emulator

3. type cd /<your path to your (micro/mini)sd/

4. e2fsck -f <your debian image file name>

-> it check if everything is allright with the filesystem

5. resize2fs <your debian image file name> 1950M

(As psykosis said you can change the size but if your (micro/mini)sd card is formatted in fat, like mine, the file better not be bigger than 2gb)

The Following User Says Thank You to pton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
Hi Qole, Lxde default points to xterm for terminal emulation. But xterm is not installed by default (in the image). I thought if you could either change the default to roxterm, or install xterm by default, it would make newbies' life easier

Getting A Big Debian Image File:

It would probably be just as easy to start from scratch; if you don't want to partition your SD card (still the best way to get lots of space), you can make your own (empty) image file as described way back here:
(you may need to be root to do this, you will definitely have to apt-get install e2fsprogs)

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=debian.img.ext2 count=3984589
mkfs.ext2 debian.img.ext2 -m 1 -L debian
What's that 3984589? That should give us 1.9 gigabytes. Seems that you calculate size like this: <bytes> / 512 = <dd-count>

Then, you have to mount the new image file and untar the Easy Debian files into it, as described in this post:

As root, mount it like so (so you get the turbo speed):
Code:
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/dm-mod.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/dm-loop.ko
dmlosetup loop0 /media/mmc1/debian.img.ext2
mount -t ext2 /dev/dm-0 /debian -o noatime
You can then (still as root) untar the complete Easy Debian filesystem or the basic Debian rootfs into the /debian directory.

Code:
cd /debian
tar -xjvf /path/to/debian-final.tar.bz2 .
Make sure you run closechroot before using "sudo debian," "debbie," or the "Debian chroot" menu icon. Otherwise you might end up with an incomplete chroot.

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-25 at 06:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pton View Post
Hi Qole, Lxde default points to xterm for terminal emulation. But xterm is not installed by default (in the image). I thought if you could either change the default to roxterm, or install xterm by default, it would make newbies' life easier
Even better, there's a really fast new xterminal for LXDE called... lxterminal of course! I highly recommend it. It starts lightning quick.

But I never use the terminal inside LXDE. I like osso-xterm. I don't see the point of starting a second environment just to run a terminal inside the environment... Open osso-xterm, enter "sudo debian" (for root access) or "debbie" (for user access) to get into the chroot, then enter
Code:
DISPLAY=:1
and everything you run from then on will display in LXDE instead of Hildon. Cool, huh?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice