Active Topics

I don't have an n810 yet,...but I have some questions.

It the GPS good enough to use routinely, and I know that you get 14 days free some something like that then you have to subscribe to use the software (if you want routing etc...). Do that send you a time locked key to force you to pay or can you pay once and let you maps get out of date but still use all of the features? I don't want to pull maps via WI-FI or cell either.

What other commercial or free based full GPS (routine, planning, POI etc..) packages are there available for the n810.

Yes, I have searched but I really haven't found a good answer yet.

What are your experiences? Advice, etc...

Thanks!

I have not had any experience using the GPS routinely, but I can answer your other questions:

They key expires and you can no longer use the routing features of the software. You can, however, still see where you are, and search for POI, but it will not do turn by turn directions unless you pay. The maps are stored on the internal memory, and you do not need wifi/cell to download them.

The map application that comes with it (wayfinder) is the only full navigation solution that does not require an active internet connection to rout you. Maemo-mapper is free, but you either have to download the maps and routing information ahead of time, or have an active connection (especially if you plan to deviate from the path)

I hope that helps

I have an N810 and the GPS is the single largest disappointment of the device. It's very difficult to get a lock. I have pretty much given up on the GPS. Unless you stand STILL under UNOBSTRUCTED sky for like 10 minutes (or longer), you can forget about getting a lock. Once it has a lock, it's ok with keeping it, but not as good as dedicated GPS chips. If you are serious about GPS, get a Bluetooth GPS with Sirf III. (Forget about getting a lock in a moving car - unless it had a lock before, it just won't happen. I have driven several hours with the N810 out on the dashboard where it could get as much of an unobstructed view of the sky as possible - and no lock whatsoever - for hours!)

Martin

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by m_stolle View Post
I have an N810 and the GPS is the single largest disappointment of the device. It's very difficult to get a lock.<snip>

Martin
@Martin - Is this with AGPS?

@darknetone - SEARCH and READ there is a ton of info here on GPS. Use one of the old threads. Or is this a medical emergency requiring a brand new thread? New useless threads only add to disarray. Now the next time someone searches there is an extra thread to ignore.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The N810 has difficulties getting a lock. If this is the sole reason you buy a N810 its the wrong reason. However, the N810 has other nifty advantages & features. I recommend to use an external BlueTooth GPS with e.g. Sirf-III chipset. These acquire & keep a lock fast & easily.

There are several applications available which make use of the internal (or external over BlueTooth) GPS including an open source one called Maemo Mapper. You can find these using the search of forum or searching around on Garage at Maemo or if you're lucky some kind soul will help you further regarding this in this very thread.

You can buy a license for the Navicore/Wayfinder/Map application directly, but also there are some deals found. Search at eBay and this forum.

All the questions you ask have been asked elsewhere on this forum. So if you look around you'll find your answers as well.

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
@Martin - Is this with AGPS?
Yes, even with AGPS, it's more often miss than hit. But then again, the AGPS app is so rudimentary, I have no idea if it was doing something or if I wasn't using it right. No status, no nothing. Makes me wonder if it's a placebo app 8-).

Martin

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Check out http://fragostech.com/MaemoMapper/ it has helpful tips and discusses Maemo Mapper which IMHO is an excellent GPS mapping application that is total open source.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Originally Posted by darknetone View Post
I don't have an n810 yet,...but I have some questions.

It the GPS good enough to use routinely, and I know that you get 14 days free some something like that then you have to subscribe to use the software (if you want routing etc...). Do that send you a time locked key to force you to pay or can you pay once and let you maps get out of date but still use all of the features? I don't want to pull maps via WI-FI or cell either.

What other commercial or free based full GPS (routine, planning, POI etc..) packages are there available for the n810.

Yes, I have searched but I really haven't found a good answer yet.

What are your experiences? Advice, etc...

Thanks!
The N810 GPS is inadequate, get a Bluetooth GPS for $50-$100 which is MUCH better.
MaemoMapper is an excellent tool and you can use Wayfinder as well (2 weeks free trial, then pay $100).

While the built-in GPS is not as good as a dedicated GPS, I haven't found it to be as bad as described above. I can get a lock within a few minutes if I am in the same approximate time/location as my last fix. I can get a lock in a new location or while moving in several minutes, depending upon current satellite locations. I have it mounted on the dashboard of my truck. It won't work as a geocaching GPS, you stick it in your pocket and it loses it's fix, and it doesn't work under dense trees.

Thus, it's OK, but it is not what you would buy an N810 for. Especially with dedicated GPS systems being under $100.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
If you find the GPS in the N810 isn't fast or sensitive enough you can still use the N810 with a bluetooth GPS receiver without display. The benefit is that you have a single platform for all applications. You might elect to leave that receiver powered in your vehicle out of site.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1