Posts: 19 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Cologne, Germany
Thanks for pointing that out.

I spent some moments on the problem and I now agree that it's not even close to usable, sorry.

Jalimo can be installed with a single click (and runs simple tests quite good), but for Opera Mini you'd need to mess with midpath or similar (packaged by jalimo, but lots of dependencies) to get MIDP support.
So probably lots of tinkering and you cannot be sure if there's any reward afterwards. Interesting anyway, though.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Cologne, Germany
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Is this an issue to do with Linux in general rather than Maemo?
No, linux runs Sun's java for quite some while (years), even if it was closed source before. They provide linux support for a long time already. In addition there were (are?) other projects that filled the gap before, I just cannot remember the name of a prominent one.. black-something?.
Anyway, interesting question. Maybe it's more an ARM issue though? I'm not sure if there's anything more than Java ME stuff for Arm devices (but even that would help. See Opera Mini).

Originally Posted by darklajid View Post
Thanks for pointing that out.

I spent some moments on the problem and I now agree that it's not even close to usable, sorry.
Sorry if I sounded a bit grumpy...

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Here is a cool video showing the Sony PSP running Opera Mini 4. I also wish we had some sort of Java emulator on Maemo to run Opera Mini....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtHxR...eature=related

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Is there a direct download link to Jalimo ?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Opera Mini does use a caching proxy server running at an Opera server. This proxy for example compresses big JPEGs. This leads to increased performance. One could, in theory, run their own server for this purpose. Even including banner filters and such.