Gah, called today to see what's up, and they apparently never got the form. I don't know if I got the fax number wrong or what. Also, for some reason, they had my cell instead of my land line on the account, no idea why I gave that to them, and the form has the land line number on it...

Hello, I too have experienced the WSOD on my 770. Unfortunately, it is out of warranty. Called Nokia but couldn't get anywhere with them as far as what it would cost to repair. What's really sad is that the person i talked to could give no info on how much it would cost to even have the unit looked at. Has anyone had their's repaired after warranty? How much for the estimate to repair and how much for the total cost of repair would be appreciated. I have a feeling that it isn't worth fixing since i can probably get another unit for around $100 these days.

I really like this device but if i can't get it repaired at a reasonable cost, then i'd rather put that $100 towards another device of better quality instead of taking a chance on another 770. What other devices are out there that do basically the same thing. I like this wide screen so i'm not really interested in a regular pda type device. Of course, i might be interested if i could get one pretty cheap!

I doubt they can even repair it, as everyone lately has been getting a trade-up to N800 if they have a warranty.

There really isn't any other device currently on the market that's directly comparable to the Nokia 770, particularly when you factor in price. What are looking for in a replacement? It might be easier to match your needs than coming up with a directly comparable device.

Originally Posted by tom61 View Post
I doubt they can even repair it, as everyone lately has been getting a trade-up to N800 if they have a warranty.

There really isn't any other device currently on the market that's directly comparable to the Nokia 770, particularly when you factor in price. What are looking for in a replacement? It might be easier to match your needs than coming up with a directly comparable device.
I pretty much want a basic unit to look up a few websites that i frequent at home or when at wifi hotspots. I also upload html files to the device where i used the opera browser to open them with. Other than that, i don't really need an IM or skype capability, bluetooth, or to be honest, any of the other built in programs.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
makes me think of tthat thing that showed up recently:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=24429

Originally Posted by mudfrog View Post
I pretty much want a basic unit to look up a few websites that i frequent at home or when at wifi hotspots. I also upload html files to the device where i used the opera browser to open them with. Other than that, i don't really need an IM or skype capability, bluetooth, or to be honest, any of the other built in programs.
A few canidates:
Dell Axim X50v and X51v (VGA Pocket PC)
iPod Touch (a fair bit more expensive, but it has a nice web browser)
Nokia N800 (I haven't heard of any issues with WSODs on that model, though it also is more expensive)

If you're willing to consider things outside the range of pocket sized, a netbook would be able to fill that role.

The Following User Says Thank You to tom61 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tom61 View Post
A few canidates:
Dell Axim X50v and X51v (VGA Pocket PC)
iPod Touch (a fair bit more expensive, but it has a nice web browser)
Nokia N800 (I haven't heard of any issues with WSODs on that model, though it also is more expensive)

If you're willing to consider things outside the range of pocket sized, a netbook would be able to fill that role.
Thanks, I never really thought about the ipod but i just now looked it up and it might be something to consider. This may be a dumb question but, Can an html file be uploaded to it and opened with the Safari browser?

I thought that a netbook type device would be the ticket but i already have a laptop with 12 inch display which is small compared to most but is still bulkier than what i want to carry around with me. I looked at the smaller 7 and 8.9 inch Asus and other brands and have found that the case dimensions aren't that much smaller than what i have so i'd basically end up with another device that i didn't want to lug around. I really want something pocketable, with around 4 or 5 inch display, in a widescreen that you look at in landscape mode. The 770 was ideal in this respect!

So, my N770 has suffered a fatal WSOD. To be honest, I feel Nokia screwed me and others with a deliberately uncorrected WSOD design flaw. Bummer. No use throwing good money after bad.

billj
William T. Johnston
Soyrunner

Actually I could be wrong. Not long ago I was troubleshooting production failures of a board that included fine pitch surface mount LSI's. Some pins were not getting a good solder flow so a decision was made to increase the heat slightly in the machine. A few weeks passes, another product line was running through the machine and there were a great number of board failures. Mostly due to a tolerance change in 79L15's but then additional failures of an SMT chip that had a particularly small package. It seems the additional heat was causing a hex inverter to have a short life span. It could be that Epson chip with the mirrored surface was ill effected by the heat it took in its soldering process.

So, if they lower their soldering temperature and increase the flux paste the failure to start problem on later versions may clear. Too late for the N770.

billj

Last edited by billj; 2008-11-15 at 01:58.

Originally Posted by mudfrog View Post
Thanks, I never really thought about the ipod but i just now looked it up and it might be something to consider. This may be a dumb question but, Can an html file be uploaded to it and opened with the Safari browser?

I thought that a netbook type device would be the ticket but i already have a laptop with 12 inch display which is small compared to most but is still bulkier than what i want to carry around with me. I looked at the smaller 7 and 8.9 inch Asus and other brands and have found that the case dimensions aren't that much smaller than what i have so i'd basically end up with another device that i didn't want to lug around. I really want something pocketable, with around 4 or 5 inch display, in a widescreen that you look at in landscape mode. The 770 was ideal in this respect!
I'd guess that the iPod Touch is capable of doing so, but I don't have one.

Yeah, a nice small 12" notebook is not that different in size from a netbook for practical purposes.