Active Topics

Hi All,

How can I change the appearance of my home screen on the N800. I've noticed screenshots from other users that have screens that look like a MAC computer with the icons at the bottom and the look of a computer.

What do I need to download to get those also.

Thanks for all your help.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
There are at least three things that determine the appearance of your desktop. The installed "Theme", the active "Applets" and installed "launchers". For instance, below is my desktop.

Name:  screenshot00.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  23.5 KB

The displayed weather is "OM Weather". The icons below are part of "Personal Launcher". Both applications appear as selectable applets along with the "Clock".

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
i have installed the Personal Launcher before .. and when i select app to show like that , they just done appear ..

You are right, I had to experiment with my settings in the "Edit Command" box of each of my nine applications. I know the settings for calculator, sketch, file manager, gnumeric, maemo mapper, pidgin, quiver, tasks and YouAmp. Let me know if I can help you with any of these (my favorite) applications.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Thx , i installed it again and went to the edit command and Got it working now very well , Thx for the Tip

Can you tell me how I can set this up - how do you get the icons on the bottom?? I don't know much about all this so I need a dummy detail of how to do this but I do like your home page a lot.

Originally Posted by Kally View Post
Can you tell me how I can set this up - how do you get the icons on the bottom?? I don't know much about all this so I need a dummy detail of how to do this but I do like your home page a lot.

Let me know which application you want to add first in Personal Launcher and I will provide step by step instructions to put it onto your desktop.

I'd like to put the web, my e-mail account, Pidgin, calculator, Fring (I think for now that would be a good start) and I would like them on the bottom like yours.

Also how do I get a different background?

Originally Posted by Kally View Post
I'd like to put the web, my e-mail account, Pidgin, calculator, Fring (I think for now that would be a good start) and I would like them on the bottom like yours.
Let's start with Pigin.
Select "Home" in the top left corner of your screen, then click "Select Applets". Make sure that "Personal Launcher is checked. Then hit "ok". Next select "Home", "Applet Settings" and then "Personal Launcher". On the right hand side of the screen, find Pigin among the installed applications and highlight by tapping once. Now, (very important) write down the displayed information at the bottom left of the screen (Name, Executable, and DBUS). Now click the plus sign at the bottom right which brings up the "Add Command" window. Take the information that you wrote down earlier and fill in the first three rows. Do not click "Run in Terminal" or "Run as Root". After selecting an icon, select "OK". Next, select the "Tools" icon at the bottom of the screen. For "Visual Settings" I use: Icon size 64, Corner Radius 10, Enable Animations is checked, Padding between icons is 12, and check Use Resizable Layout.

I haven't done any shortcuts to a website, maybe someone else can help.

The "Backround" for the desktop is set by selecting "Home" then "Set Backround Image".

Thank you Den - I will try it tonight and let you know.